San Diego State University is the oldest and largest higher education institution in the San Diego region. Since its founding in 1897, SDSU has grown to offer bachelor's degrees in 91 areas, master's degrees in 78 areas and doctorates in 22 areas. SDSU's approximately 35,000 students participate in an academic curriculum distinguished by direct contact with faculty and an increasing international emphasis that prepares them for a global future.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including in terms of race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all.
SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
This position is in the Management Personnel Plan (Administrator III) and earns management benefits including medical, dental, vision, $100,000 life insurance plan, and the CalPERS pension plan. For more information on benefits included for this position please see our benefits summaries.
The Enterprise Technology Services (ETS) Senior Director reports to the Associate Vice President for Business Operations and CIO. The position oversees ETS areas and is key to ensuring that effective internal controls are maintained, while balancing the various needs and demands on the departments campus-wide and their stakeholder unit customers. This leadership and management includes the direction of ETS business operations and strategic planning; management and oversight of operational budgets, expenses and allocation of resources in support of the goals and mission of Business and Financial Affairs (BFA) and San Diego State University; and the establishment, implementation and evaluation of goals and procedures. The Senior Director strives for consistency of process and builds collaborative relationships within Finance and Administration and college leaders to provide administrative support services and implement policy changes that occur.
The Senior Director attends system-wide and other meetings working closely with various management and constituencies across the campus. This position strives to achieve information technology outcomes appropriate to the campus as a whole. The Senior Director must at all times act and be perceived to act with impartiality and equity as a respected and valuable member of the senior management team.
The competitive salary is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
The Senior Director will support, apprise and advise the BFA Associate Vice President, Business Operations and CIO. This will include recommendations related to information technology for campus policies and execution.
The Senior Director provides leadership and management in directing the activities of Enterprise Technology Services which include the following areas:
- University Computing Operations (UCO) operates our main university data center and manages many of the university’s administrative and academic computer systems in collaboration with other divisions. UCO also provides management and hosting of Linux and Windows servers for university departments.
- Telecommunications and Network Services (TNS) is responsible for the network, cable and data infrastructure at the University including wireless network access throughout the campus (including many outdoor areas). In addition, communication technicians provide voice infrastructure and cabling support.
- The Technology Security Officer (TSO) is responsible for working with university departments to promote and architect a secure computing environment.
- The Information Security Officer (ISO) is responsible for developing and managing the information security program for the campus.
- Voice Services (VS) is responsible for providing telephone switch and voice services to the campus. The Director of Voice Services serves as the chair for the campus Accessible Technology Initiatives (ATI) Committee.
- Business Information Systems (BIS) provides technical application support for in-use and under-implementation systems. Systems are primarily vendor-supplied, rather than proprietary. Area works extremely closely with functional areas to ensure that activities are directed towards user requirements, as well as efficiently maintained.
- Administrative Desktop Support (ADS) is responsible for providing computer workstation support services to BFA staff and supports the university community through the ETS Help Desk. ETS Help Desk provides support for e-mail, calendaring, Accessible Technology Initiative training and distribution of various site licensed software.
The Senior Director will be a member of the campus IT executive committee, which includes members of BFA, Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and campus auxiliaries. The Senior Director will assume and improve on the current campus collaborative structure and relationship for IT management.
The Senior Director will perform other duties as assigned.