This is a full-time, annual, renewable Academic Staff position in the Department of Plant and Earth Science at the University of Wisconsin-River Falls. This appointment carries a University of Wisconsin Extension (UWEX) appointment as a state specialist in the area of land use planning. The successful candidate will demonstrate strong interests and ability to provide leadership and education to communities across Wisconsin and provide education and support to county and local planners, land conservation offices, citizen planners and related community organizations. Anticipated appointment date: September 1, 2014.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
The specialist will respond to current trends in local government leadership and local planning and will provide information and related research to Extension Educators and other clientele. The Specialist will develop an applied research and educational outreach program that will include: making presentations, developing educational materials and research briefs, attending meetings, workshops and conferences, as well as publishing professional articles.
- Training and support for communities, farmers, Extension professionals and others in sustainable development, farmland preservation, committee and board development, comprehensive planning, plan implementation, zoning and zoning alternatives, implementation tools, livable communities, and community leadership
- Developing individual programming as well as work as a member of teams as appropriate
- Facilitating educational programming within the disciplines of Planning, Community Development, Regional Geography, Environmental Management, and Sociology
- Applying research and educational outreach programs resulting in formal and informal presentations and other activities directed at improving community planning and development
- Contributing to UW-Extension and campus publications as needed and appropriate
- Bridging Extension outreach community programming with campus undergraduate and graduate teaching and research in the Department, College, and University
UW-River Falls Diversity Statement: We declare that diversity and inclusivity are core values. We dedicate ourselves to build a culture grounded in principles of equity, social justice, and excellence. We fundamentally affirm and embrace the multiple identities, values, belief systems, and cultural practices of all individuals and communities. We will address fundamental issues of bias, discrimination, and exclusion.
The University is committed to creating an educational community which enhances student awareness and appreciation of diverse ethnicities and cultures and identities which actively supports tolerance, civility and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each person without regard to economic status, ethnic background, political views, sexual orientation, or other personal characteristics or beliefs. Awareness of and sensitivity to diverse ethnic and cultural heritages are especially sought in applicants.
UWRF is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer subject to all state and federal regulations pertaining to non-discrimination based upon sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, color, national origin, religion, disability, marital status, age, arrest and/or conviction record, veteran status, and membership in the national guard, state defense force, or any other reserve component of the military forces of the United States or the State of Wisconsin. All persons, especially women, persons of color, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Employment is subject to federal laws that require verification of your identity and legal right to work in the United States as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
For a copy of the UWRF campus safety information, see http:www.uwrf.edu/Police/CampusRecordsCrimes.cfm or call Public Safety at (715) 425-3133 for a paper copy. This material includes crime statistics (Annual Security Report) and information on crime prevention, sexual assault, and drug/alcohol issues.