San Diego State University is the oldest and largest higher education institution in the San Diego region. Since its founding in 1897, SDSU has grown to offer bachelor's degrees in 91 areas, master's degrees in 78 areas and doctorates in 22 areas. SDSU's approximately 35,000 students participate in an academic curriculum distinguished by direct contact with faculty and an increasing international emphasis that prepares them for a global future.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including in terms of race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all.
SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
This position is in the Management Personnel Plan (Administrator I) and earns management benefits including medical, dental, vision, $100,000 life insurance plan, and the CalPERS pension plan. For more information on benefits included for this position please see our benefits summaries.
The Donor and Life Member Manager reports to the Director of Alumni Engagement and will oversee and support the marketing efforts of Alumni Engagement as well as the Cultivation, Solicitation, and Stewardship of the Life Member program in the Office of Alumni Engagement.
The competitive salary is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
Cultivation and Solicitation
- Responsible for increasing the number of life members who donate on an annual basis. Carry out two annual life member giving campaigns that seek donations of “any amount” from life members.
- Work with the Director of Alumni Engagement and Annual Fund team to increase the number of donors who become life members. Responsible for creating a marketing plan that seeks to solicit donors to become alumni life members.
- Work with a designer to provide creative consultation in the design of solicitation materials for alumni lifetime members. Responsible for distributing materials to targeted segments of alumni non-members. Must work closely with the Alumni Engagement Fund team to coordinate solicitation calendars.
- Work with URAD’s MarComm staff to use social media tools/resources to solicit alumni life members and encourage alumni to use online resources to make life membership transactions.
- In conjunction with the alumni engagement fund staff, create and advertise Aztec For Life messaging to compliment the “Every Aztec, Any Amount, Every Year” program
- In collaboration with the Director of Alumni Engagement and the Senior Director of Donor Relations, develop a messaging and marketing plan to recognize alumni donors and Aztec for Life members on an annual basis.
- Work with the Senior Director of Donor Relations, to assimilate the lifetime member stewardship program with the development stewardship program to include members recognized at certain giving levels.
- Plan and execute cultivation/recognition events to recognize donors and encourage annual giving. Events include but are not limited to: receptions, lectures, seminars, galas, sporting events and more. Events should be targeted exclusively for donors and life members.
- Responsible for weekly life membership fulfillment whereby life members receive a welcome packet, membership card and other creative pieces outlining their lifetime member benefits.
Donor and Life Member Event Management
- Coordinate, plan and execute donor recognition events whereby all annual giving donors are recognized.
- Coordinate, plan and execute all life member events as part of servicing life members via the life member benefits program. Events include but are not limited to: summer celebration, student mentoring/connection, tailgates, viewing parties, specialty events and more.
- Work with the Student Engagement Coordinator to host the annual Gradfest event whereby graduating seniors become alumni life members during the three-day graduation festival.
- Work with the Director of Alumni Engagement to plan an annual commencement event for graduating seniors to promote alumni life membership.
Administration of Lifetime Membership Program
- Responsible for member service procedures, demographic analysis for the alumni engagement lifetime member program.
- Coordinate day-to-day life member income processes with the Data Entry Assistant and report all life income and produce member reports on a monthly basis. This includes invoicing process of payment plans and fulfillment.
- Work with the Assistant VP of Alumni Engagement and the Director of Alumni Engagement to plan and forecast lifetime member revenue as well as monitor life member expenses specifically, servicing and soliciting expenses.
- Work closely with SDSU Executive Committee and Alumni Board of Directors (volunteers) including preparing reports and presenting findings at regular meetings.
- Monitor life member fulfillment gifts/special promotions and coordinate inventory of all life member fulfillment gifts.
- Manage and supervise the data control technician and students.
- Prepare financial paperwork, check requests, reimbursements, mileage requests, and P-card reconciliations.
- Work closely with alumni engagement staff and student assistant on team projects.
- Attend occasional meetings/events outside of the normal business operating hours.