| ||About Berkeley |
| ||The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptanceacademic and artistic, political and culturalmake it a very special place for students, faculty and staff. |
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
| ||Application Review Date |
| ||The First Review Date for this job is: July 29, 2014 |
| ||Departmental Overview |
| ||As part of the Operational Effectiveness Team, this position involves auditing, recommending, developing, implementing, and/or evaluating Human Resources policies, labor contracts, statutes, programs and procedures covering several of the following: recruitment, compensation, classification, employee relations, payroll, benefits, welfare programs, training and development, intercampus transfers, and employee services. |
Develops and implements a comprehensive HR audit and compliance program for CSS HR/APS, to review current human resources policies, procedures, documentation and systems to identify needs for improvement and enhancement of the HR/APS function as well as to ensure compliance with University Policy and employment laws. Designs and performs quality assurance analysis for all services provided by CSS HR/APS. Identifies service failures and opportunities for improvement and follows up with managers and supervisors in the organization to develop solutions, recommend and implement department wide changes. Assists in policy and program planning, development and administration; interprets, monitors and analyzes information regarding policies and procedures and provides consultative services regarding general management to department administrators. Provides exceptional service to meet customer needs and ensures each action is handled with confidentiality, timeliness, accuracy and sensitivity. Provides project management support for projects of moderate scope.
| ||Responsibilities |
| ||Audit and Compliance: |
- Applies auditing concepts to perform complex analysis to understand past performance and determine present and future performance and/or resource allocations.
- Executes internal audits within established audit standards.
- Prepares audit programs and develops the specific issues to be evaluated.
- Conducts internal HR Audit to check on HR policies compliance by gathering employment facts to ascertain level of compliance and communicate to higher management with recommendations on corrective or employee processing improvements.
- Reviews HR/APS processes and practices to ensure compliance with internal HR Information and documentations requirements.
- Express facts and recommendation in Audit reports and presentations to communicate to companies and group management.
- Interact with Central Offices as appropriate to communicate various findings and to process changes as approved.
- Develops formal written reports to communicate audit results to CSS HR/APS management, and makes recommendations as appropriate.
- Extracts relevant HR information from reporting, HRIS and ticketing systems and transform it into audit fact reports.
Quality Assurance / Incident Management:
- Reviews CSS HR/APS tickets, customer service incident reports and customer survey reports for systemic, performance or procedural issue, by applying in-depth knowledge of HR policies and best practices.
- Analyzes complex issues and provide recommendations on potential systemic remedies such as changes to organizational practices and procedures.
- Conducts complex HR trends analyses and develop resulting recommendations. Works with CSS staff to resolve deficiencies.
- Reviews for compliance with internal procedures, correct use of ticketing system, appropriate communications and meeting service level agreements.
- Performs ad hoc, analytical studies on a wide variety of human resources policies, programs and issues which are complex in nature.
- Leverages reporting to identify service trends and use proactively to better serve our customer.
- Establishes and maintains contacts internally and with external constituents for the collection and exchange of data.
- Identifies opportunities for training and process improvements.
- Researches customer service issues.
- Provides feedback to managers regarding findings of quality assurance analysis.
- Generates and review summary reports and provide statistics, feedback, analysis and recommendations to management.
- Participates on process and planning committees and working groups.
- Conducts post-implementation analysis to determine the need for further enhancements, finer distinctions and/or additional process/policy components.
- Develops proposals and recommendations to guide and support a broader strategic direction for the organization.
- Understand business needs and develop solutions, both technical and non-technical to improve operations.
- Prepares reports and presentations for management.
- Provides subject matter expertise in the following areas: Employment, Recruitment, Compensation, Benefits, Classification, HRIS/ Payroll systems and Footprints.
- Interprets system-wide and campus policies, collective bargaining agreements, procedures and practices as well as federal and state employment law.
- Monitors and analyzes changes in external regulations, legislation, and UC policies for impact on the CSS HR/APS operations.
- Researches and summarizes best practices in field.
- Incorporates client requirements and business needs into methodologies.
Manages sensitive and confidential information and effectively and collaboratively interacts with CSS teams and client groups.
- Acts as a good steward with university and customer resources.
- Serves on the HR Advanced Implementation, working on projects as assigned or leading a project.
- Manages projects with moderate scope.
| ||Required Qualifications |
| ||Minimum of 3 years' cross-functional HR experience. |
Has thorough knowledge of audit function and assignments.
Is working on mastering more advanced audit concepts and applications in the completion of assignments.
Has ability to gather, organize, complete analysis and develop recommendations in the completion of audit assignments.
Requires ability to present information in a clear and concise manner both in writing and verbally.
Ability to provide exceptional customer service in high volume, fast-paced, professional environment.
Possesses advanced analytical skills to conduct analysis and develop recommendations, demonstrating organization and problem-solving skills.
Has thorough knowledge of or ability to acquire campus policies and procedures; knowledge of functional area and understands how work may impact other areas.
Has thorough knowledge of human resources concepts, policies and procedures, employment practices, labor relations, salary administration, training and other areas of human resources.
Ability to interpret and apply knowledge of union/labor contracts.
Knows HRIS systems; advanced knowledge of PC based software (MS OfficeWord, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio; email; etc.) and experience with other related business software programs and systems.
Must demonstrate ability to learn University systems.
Demonstrated skill to create presentations and appropriate business documents using said software.
Ability to effectively summarize information, develop reports, create information documents.
Keen attention to detail and ability to maintain consistency through documentation.
Strong skills in communicating clearly and effectively verbally and in writing.
Excellent communications skills including the ability to give constructive feedback and the ability to write clear procedures and instructions.
Demonstrates skill in prioritizing competing work assignments, employing political acumen and integrating information to determine appropriate courses of action and their implications.
Possesses strong analytical, active listening and critical thinking skills.
Strong skills in analyzing and synthesizing large amounts of data for preparing sound and relevant proposals.
Demonstrated ability to handle very difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
Demonstrated experience in establishing priorities, following plans and completing goals/objectives in a timely manner.
Initiative and willingness to pursue professional development and openness to taking on new responsibilities.
Ability to exercise integrity and discretion in all matters and to protect confidential information.
Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
| ||Preferred Qualifications |
| || Demonstrated knowledge of UC Berkeley's Human Resources Management System (HRMS), UC's Payroll Processing System and other related business software programs and systems. |
Experience working with FootPrints or Service now ticketing systems for analysis of data.
Knowledge of academic personnel or administration
Worked in shared services environment especially in higher education field.
Experience with process mapping and process improvement methodologies.
| ||Salary & Benefits |
| ||Commensurate with experience. |
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
| ||How to Apply |
| ||Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. |
| ||Criminal Background Check |
| ||This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check. |
| ||Equal Employment Opportunity |
| ||The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: |
If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please see:
| ||Work Environment |
| ||As of January 1, 2014 the University of California, Berkeley is a smoke and tobacco free workplace. Information about our Smoke and Tobacco Free policy is available at: |