San Diego State University is a major public research institution offering bachelor's degrees in 91 areas, master's degrees in 78 areas, and doctorates in 22 areas. The university provides transformative experiences, both inside and outside of the classroom, for its 34,000 students. Students participate in research, international experiences, sustainability and entrepreneurship initiatives, and a broad range of student life and leadership opportunities. The university’s rich campus life features opportunities for students to participate in, and engage with, the creative and performing arts, a Division I athletics program, and the vibrant cultural life of the San Diego region. For more information, visit www.sdsu.edu.
SDSU is a large, diverse, urban university and Hispanic-Serving Institution with a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusive excellence. Our campus community is diverse in many ways, including race, religion, color, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, and covered veteran status. We strive to build and sustain a welcoming environment for all. SDSU is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience in and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of underrepresented groups.
San Diego State University Library & Information Access seeks applications and nominations of dynamic, innovative, and service-oriented candidates for the position of Data Analytics Librarian. This position is located within the SDSU Library’s Information & Digital Technologies Division and will be appointed at the Senior Assistant Librarian rank. The Data Analytics Librarian will develop and promote Library services related to the discovery, evaluation, and manipulation of data and the use of statistical or other analytical tools. The incumbent will lead workshops, programs and other projects to support analytical research, and collaborate with colleagues to build capacity for the use of data and analytical methods across disciplines. The Data Analytics Librarian also serves as a research consultant, liaison, and collaborator with faculty and students in business and social science programs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and support Library-based data services that promote the discovery, analysis, and visualization of data
- Lead workshops, programs, and/or other initiatives related to the use of data, statistical software (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R, MATLAB, etc.), and other tools that support data-intensive research
- Select, manage, and deliver licensed, free, and researcher-generated data collections
- Create instructional materials related to data services, including tutorials and research guides
- Serve as the liaison to the Department of Economics, Department of Finance, and Charles W. Lamden School of Accountancy, as well as the Wells Fargo Financial Markets Lab
- Provide research support, teach course-integrated information literacy classes, and develop appropriate collections for business and related social science programs
- Lead efforts to promote data literacy skills across campus
- Participate in the shared governance of San Diego State University by serving on library, campus-wide, and California State University committees as needed
- Participate in professional development activities to demonstrate a continuous and meritorious record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession
- ALA-accredited master’s degree or equivalent foreign degree
- Demonstrated experience using quantitative and qualitative data analysis applications, such as SPSS, SAS, Stata, R, MATLAB, NVivo, ArcGIS, and ATLAS.ti
- Ability to advocate and promote data services to all University segments, e.g. through a Data Information Literacy program
- Demonstrated understanding of the current research, information sources, and scholarly trends in business and/or social science disciplines
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and implement effective services and complex projects
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Ability to work as a team player in maintaining harmonious, cooperative working relationships with administrators, staff, and faculty
- Potential for meeting the requirements for tenure and promotion based on library service, professional growth, and service to the University and community
- Competence and sensitivity in working at a university in which students, faculty, and staff are broadly diverse with regard to many facets of identity, including but not limited to gender, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion
- Reference/consultation, teaching, and outreach experience in an academic library
- Experience as a library liaison to economics and/or business programs
- Experience with Bloomberg Professional and/or the Wharton Research Data Services
- Active involvement in professional development activities with a record of scholarly contributions and achievements in the profession
This is a full-time, twelve-month, tenure track faculty position. Tenure is dependent upon continuing library service effectiveness, professional growth and development, and service to the University and community.
Rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Salary commensurate with experience.
Excellent benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans, as well as 24 vacation days per year.
This position will remain open until filled. Review will begin immediately. Preference will be given to applications received by February 20, 2017. Applicants must apply via Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/40220. Anticipated start date is July 2017.
The person holding this position is considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a Title IX, equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.