Miami Country Day School seeks an enthusiastic and creative educator to fill the role of Middle School Mathematics Teacher to begin August, 2017. Miami Country Day School is a college preparatory learning community committed to educating the whole child. Through the core values of honor, respect, wisdom and compassion, we prepare students to be lifelong learners. We inspire our children to develop their intellectual, physical, aesthetic, social, emotional and spiritual potentials by valuing every student every day.
The Middle School Program at Miami Country Day School is well-respected in our community and nationally. Developmentally sound practices along with personalized learning experiences characterize our approach to instruction. We nurture a passion for lifelong learning, self-confidence and leadership. We strive to make education relevant and to give our students the foundation they need for success beyond life at Miami Country Day School.
We seek an Middle School Mathematics Teacher who embodies our mission and who is passionate about working with our students and faculty.
The school is accredited by FKC, FCIS and SACS; active membership is maintained in SACAC, NACAC, NAIS, SAIS, CASE, CRIS, ERB, American Library Association and the College Board.
This position is effective August 1, 2017.
To plan, organize and implement an appropriate instructional program in a middle school learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential. Work is performed under the supervision of the Middle School Division Director.
The position involves teaching five sections of primarily sixth grade math at several different levels. Miami Country Day School uses Math in Focus, as well as a departmental open source, integrated approach to mathematics. Teachers who are creative and can handle a an integrated approach to curriculum and teaching and have a background in using methods and activities connecting math, science, and technology to the math classroom are encouraged to apply. If you are forward thinking, understand technology as a teaching and learning tool, and are interested in STEM education, we look forward to hearing from you.
The position also involves being an academic advisor to a group of 12-14 sixth graders and working collaboratively with the teachers on the 6th grade teaching team. All teachers are expected to perform supervisory duties outside the classroom.
Essential functions of the job may include but are not limited to the following:
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning.
- Develops schemes of work, lesson plans and tests that are in accordance with established procedures.
- Instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment.
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures.
- Maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school.
- Provide appropriate feedback on work.
- Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students and use information to adjust teaching strategies.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students' progress and development.
- Update all necessary records accurately and completely as required by laws, district policies and school regulations.
- Prepare required reports on students and activities.
- Participate in department, school, and parent meetings.
- Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues and parents regarding student progress and student needs.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Prepare classroom for class activities.
- Provide a variety of learning materials and resources for use in educational activities.
- Observe and evaluate student's performance and development.
- Assign and grade class work, homework, tests and assignments.