Berkeley Preparatory School
PreK - 12th Grade
Position Starts: August 1, 2017
Application Deadline: March 15, 2017
The Berkeley Preparatory School, an outstanding independent coeducational day school in Tampa, Florida, places an emphasis on academic excellence with a spirit of social responsibility. Students of all ages exchange ideas and explore ethics as they define their attitudes and values. Berkeley educates the whole child by nurturing students’ intellectual, emotional, spiritual and physical development so that they may attain their highest potential. Berkeley has built a national reputation for academic rigor at the country’s most prestigious universities. The school’s active Episcopal affiliation focuses on inclusivity, support, respect, and the shared values reflected in Berkeley’s vision statement, Berkeley puts people in the world who make a positive difference.
The School seeks a dynamic and approachable Episcopal priest to be its next school Chaplain. The Chaplain will exert a high level of energy and enthusiasm, and will easily and quickly connect with a variety of people with diverse backgrounds. The ideal candidate will look forward to serving the intellectual and faith-based needs of the passionate, committed, optimistic, kind, and respectful community that is Berkeley. He or she will collaborate with all school constituencies to nurture and enrich the lives of students and contribute to the pastoral care of the Berkeley family. The Chaplain will have a Master of Divinity degree or the equivalent from an accredited Episcopal (or Anglican) seminary and have a background in the study of world religions, teaching experience, and the ability to engage a multi-faith student body. He or she will also have demonstrated experience in the counseling of adolescents.
- Serve as a member of the school’s lead Administrative Team.
- Serve as a member of the all-school Counseling Group.
- Be involved with the National Association of Episcopal Schools.
- Be the keeper and communicator of the religious holiday calendar.
- Serve as liaison between the school and the Episcopal Diocese of Southwest Florida.
- Attend all major school functions and lead prayers.
- Contribute to an interfaith dialogue through establishment of connections within religious groups and institutions in the greater Tampa Bay area.
- With others, develop and run the holiday convocation celebrations in all three divisions of the school.
- Lead in the development of a program of study within the History and World Religions Department that provides an academic framework for the study of religion, philosophy and ethics. Teach courses in same department.
- Speak regularly in convocations in all three divisions.
- Work with the Director of Community Engagement and Service Learning to identify areas of service learning related to local faith communities that might be undertaken by students.
- Represent the School to families in time of need (i.e. funerals, hospital visits, etc.).
- Be a pastoral presence across campus, as possible, throughout the school day and during afterschool contests and performances in reasonable measure.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Headmaster.Located on a gorgeous 80-acre campus, Berkeley serves 1300 students in Grades PK-12. The school continues to experience strong interest and full enrollment, and is marked with a very strong positive school culture. Berkeley’s faculty, staff and student body reflects the diversity of its surrounding communities.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and a statement articulating the importance of the role of school chaplain to The Rev. George E. Andrews II, Search Consultant, P.O. Box 247, Hobe Sound, FL. 33475 (or email to: email@example.com).