The position is responsible for the development and implementation of all programs and services related to residential community development, and housing student retention/engagement within the Administration and Finance Division. Such services must be in support of the UCCS mission, goals and current strategic plan. The Executive Director is responsible for the overall leadership and administration for Residence Life and Housing and the Family Development Center, including directly supervising departmental directors. The position is responsible for oversight of the division’s student employee leadership program, the A-Team. The position also has overall accountability for budgets and will assist directors in management of the allocated budget in order to achieve the highest return on investment and meet unit strategic goals. The position develops annual and multi-year budgets for approval by executive leadership.
The Executive Director will support and lead a culture of evidence-informed practice and implement meaningful student development practices with a focus on auxiliary student services units. The Executive Director is expected to teach one 3 credit hour class per academic year, in the University Studies/Gateway Program Seminar (GPS).
The Executive Director of Housing and Learning Initiatives is a part of the Vice Chancellor for Administration and Finance Division.
The position is expected to work collaboratively with all Administration and Finance Associate and Assistant Vice-Chancellors, Executive Directors, and Directors. In addition, related to student development and other learning initiatives, the position will require strong working relationships with the divisions of Student Success and Academic Affairs.
Position will work closely with the Auxiliary Services team within Administration and Finance in support of overall mission and strategic goals including collaboration on student fee initiatives.
Position will work closely with the Executive Director of Student Life and Leadership on student development objectives.
Position will work closely with the Office of Administrative Services Assessment.
- Responsible for strategic planning and goal setting for the departments of Residence Life and Housing and the Family Development Center.
- Select, train, supervise and evaluate professional staff.
- Budget analysis, preparation, defense, and management for approved departmental operating budgets.
- Work with the three Directors to develop strategic department assessment initiatives related to social climate, engagement and retention, student learning, satisfaction, and evaluation of programs/services
- Collaborate with department or unit leaders to determine training and professional development needs for units and train staff on aspects of evidence-informed practice as needed.
- In conjunction with the Director of Administrative Assessment, conduct relevant research, effectively utilize theory, and monitor trends/best practices in Higher Education, in order to execute survey development, data collection, management, and analysis.
- Prepare and present findings to internal and external constituents as needed.
- Directs, develops, implements, and manages student leadership/employee development programs and other projects/initiatives for the division as directed by the AVCAF.
- Serves on division and campus-wide committees as needed.
- Participates in campus-wide community development initiatives including, but not limited to, new student orientation, convocation and commencement.
- Knowledge of personnel and fiscal management methods and practices; federal, state and university laws, regulations, and policies.
- Knowledge and interest in best practices regarding on-campus housing and developing communities in Higher Education.
- Skill in leadership and management, and the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deliver student-oriented services on a campus with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
- Proven ability to manage a service-oriented office environment and create cooperative working relationships both internally and externally.
- Knowledge of effective practices, particularly related to the disciplines of leadership, education, retention and first-year transition/success.
- Effectiveness in working with individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work collaboratively within a shared governance system.
- Knowledge of research methods and demonstrated experience in collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data.
- Candidates for this position must have strong leadership skills; excellent analytical skills; the ability to collaborate effectively with others; and the ability to build and motivate a business service team.
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse populations in a multi-cultural environment that is committed to diversity and equality in education.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with organizational management and planning.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Interpersonal skills (flexibility, adaptability and integrity).
- High level of job commitment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
Special Instructions to Applicants: • Position is open until filled. Applications submitted by March 14, 2017 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide five professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.