The mission of Academy High – a new, independent, college-preparatory high school opening in August 2017 in Champaign, Illinois - is to inspire students to discover and pursue their passions; to become exceptionally well-educated, academically and personally; and to lead lives of excellence, purpose, and joy. We believe that by nurturing students to develop adventurous minds, bold spirits, and compassionate hearts, we can change the world.
Our faculty will take the lead by inspiring students to be active learners, visionary leaders, and architects of their own futures by promoting passion, interest, intellectual curiosity, and independence; by teaming with colleagues (on-site and around the world) in professional collaborations and interdisciplinary studies; and by helping to develop joyful, life-long learners of deep character who turn empathy into action and vision into creation.
The Academy High faculty will be dedicated to using dynamic instructional strategies and methods. Engaging and challenging students to think, do, and create will be the hallmark of teaching in our school. Students will be active participants in their own education, required to examine and analyze information; synthesize knowledge into new concepts and ideas; test and evaluate claims and theories; and debate and defend their own ideas, outcomes, and creations. Students will learn by continually calling upon prior knowledge and skills to master new challenges. Open-ended driving questions will demand that students apply abstract academic content and skills across multiple disciplines into real world projects.
We are looking for teachers who:
- actively balance a "love" for their subject area with "love" for teaching students
- appreciate the importance of enthusiasm in the classroom
- value a challenging and academically rigorous environment
- are comfortable trying innovative methods to create a more dynamic learning environment
- have a demonstrated ability to differentiate instruction
- are willing to collaborate with other teachers to establish an academic and professional culture for the school
- have prior experiences (including, but not limited to, teaching experience) which enhance their credibility
- want to be involved in extracurricular activities
Candidates with experience teaching honors, accelerated, Advanced Placement (AP), or college and university courses are particularly encouraged to apply.
The program at Academy High will be an exemplar of the best teaching and learning environment for 21st century schools. We will open our doors in August 2017 with a pioneer class of 9th graders who will move forward to become the first graduates of Academy High in 2021, and are currently seeking Founding Faculty in the following areas:
- Social Science
- Computer Science
- Fine & Performing Arts
- Physical Education/Wellness
It is the policy of Academy High not to discriminate in violation of the law on the basis of race, gender or gender identity, color, religion, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, or physical or mental disability unrelated to the ability to work or enjoy the benefits of the School's programs, facilities, or services. All persons are encouraged to apply.