Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School is seeking experienced educators to join our team as faculty members and continue to develop one of Philadelphia’s most promising educational options for young men and women from families with limited financial resources. Candidates should have an appreciation of the school’s mission and a commitment to the values of Catholic education. Since the founding of the first school in Chicago in 1996, the Cristo Rey model has become one of the most innovative and successful educational programs in the nation, serving over 10,000 students at 32 schools across the country. Faculty positions will begin full-time work in July 2017.
Instructional Practice & Student Development
- Plan for instruction of assigned courses in content area by developing annual, unit, and lesson plans aligned with the network’s standards-based curriculum and the individual needs of their students.
- Set high expectations for student development. Ensure all students develop grade-level proficiency. Prepare all students for success in college. Integrate character and leadership development into curriculum. Help each young man and woman develop into a leader who serves God and society.
- Design a comprehensive program to support academic, social, emotional, spiritual, and physical development of every student. Promote student development of the whole person — mind, body, and spirit.
- Coordinate lesson planning with, and guide the work of, volunteer tutors from the academic support team as they help students engage with grade-level curriculum and supplement their learning with remedial work in problem areas.
- Differentiate instruction to allow students with differing learning styles to access course content. Utilize classroom technology to engage students’ learning.
- Develop interim benchmarks and assessments linked to course standards and work with other faculty and administrators to analyze results and refocus instruction based on student needs.
- Identify and remediate subject matter in which students require additional support.
Outside the Classroom
- Communicate regularly with parents/families to share academic progress and develop a supportive home-school relationship.
- Serve as an advisor to a small group of students; help them to navigate their developmental journey during their time at Cristo Rey.
- Serve as a moderator of student clubs and activities or a coach of athletic teams as needed. Serve as a chaperone of field trips, retreats, and other activities.
- Understand and appreciate the developmental and educational benefits of the school’s corporate work study program.
- Develop relationships with and meet the individual needs of each student consistent with the school’s belief in cura personalis, or “care for the whole individual.” Provide feedback and support to the cura personalis committee and counseling team to identify and support students who are struggling behaviorally or emotionally.
- Participate in grade-level meetings to coordinate curriculum across the content area and better understand student needs.
Organization-wide Learning & Development
- Understand your own teaching practice as developmental. Tap into available resources from colleagues and external sources to continually reflect on and improve your teaching.
- Participate in the school’s professional learning community, collaborating with colleagues to analyze student work and teaching practice. Help to create a reflective learning organization for both students and adults. Serve as a catalyst for improvement in your own classroom and school-wide.
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School is an independent, Catholic, college preparatory school for young men and women of all faiths. Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School nurtures and challenges young women and men to recognize and realize their full potential as they grow to love God, respect others, and serve their community.
The school welcomed its first class in August 2012 and now serves approximately 340 freshman, sophomore, and junior students. The school is searching for experienced educators to join the team as we prepare to welcome our fourth cohort of freshmen and build a program for next year’s senior class.
Located in the Logan neighborhood of North Philadelphia, Cristo Rey serves economically disadvantaged families from across the city that could not otherwise afford a private Catholic education. The school utilizes a longer school day and year, structured academic assistance, and counseling support to prepare students, who start out between two and three grade levels behind academically, for college. The faculty’s collective goal for every student is not simply high school graduation or college acceptance but college graduation. It is the faculty’s primary responsibility and challenging mission to prepare every Cristo Rey Philadelphia student to be successful in college.
All students enrolled in the school participate in a unique corporate Work-Study Program through which they develop important skills and finance the majority of the cost of their education. The Cristo Rey Work-Study Program gives students the opportunity to build core skills that will help them succeed in college and the modern workplace. Each student works five full days per month in an entry-level clerical job in a professional work environment. The objective of these jobs is to reinforce the capabilities — reading comprehension, mathematics, discipline, persistence, and a strong work ethic — that students need to be successful in college and career, as well as to provide students with opportunities for development of one's self-esteem and exposure to a professional corporate culture. The money earned through the students’ work goes directly to the school to cover a significant portion of the cost of their education.
The school is endorsed by the Oblates of St. Francis de Sales and the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Cristo Rey is new to Philadelphia but not new to the United States. Cristo Rey Philadelphia is the 25th school in the national Cristo Rey Network. Network schools serve more than 9,000 students across the country and have established a tremendous record of success preparing students for success in college and in life.
If you would like to be considered for a position at Cristo Rey Philadelphia, please submit one PDF document containing the following information via email to:
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School
- Cover Letter
- List of 3 Professional References (including email & telephone contact information for each reference)
- Transcripts from Undergraduate and Graduate Education
Responses to 3 Essay Questions:
Candidates for all positions should answer questions a, b & c
- Describe your philosophy of education and explain how you hope to put it into practice as a member of the Cristo Rey Philadelphia team. (Maximum Response- 1000 words)
- Over the past four years we have assembled a team of experienced educators who maintain high expectations for our students and work tirelessly to support each student’s learning, growth, and development. We have built a mission-driven culture that is open to growth, dedicated, driven, flexible, creative, loving, joyful, and resilient. Our team is comprised of individuals who are not afraid to fail, who don’t whine, who dare to dream big, and who will stop at nothing to make our dreams a reality. We push ourselves to be constantly learning, reflecting, creating and developing. We challenge ourselves and our students to believe, to dream, to lead, and to serve. Why should you be part of this team? (Maximum Response: 500 Words)
- In order for our students to succeed in college they must graduate from Cristo Rey with college-level reading, writing, and analytical skills. What does that mean and how will you work to make that happen in your classroom? (Maximum Response: 500 Words)