St. Paul’s Episcopal School, located across from Lake Merritt in Oakland, enrolls 365 students from diverse backgrounds, kindergarten through eighth grade. St. Paul’s provides an education that is intellectually challenging, culturally pluralistic, and morally and spiritually enriching. Caring, committed faculty members, in partnership with parents, serve as role models, mentors and guides. St. Paul’s has an academically talented and ethnically diverse student body and seeks the same in its faculty.
St. Paul’s seeks to fill the Eighth Grade English Teacher position for the 2017- 2018 academic year with an experienced, dynamic individual who:
- has attained a BA degree (mandatory) and credential (preferred)
- has a deep interest and passion for teaching English
- has interest and/or experience integrating service learning into the curriculum
- has an understanding of middle school students and enjoys working with them
- has 3-5 years experience teaching middle school or high school English or humanities
- can provide opportunities for language expression in a variety of forms
- can develop writing fluency, with grammar, structure and writing mechanics as an on-going part of instruction
- can create a developmentally appropriate cooperative learning environment
- has experience teaching literature, grammar
- can expose students to a multicultural perspective of universal human experience
- has interest and/or experience teaching social emotional curriculum to middle school students
- has excellent communication skills with both children and adults
- has experience collaborating with a team of teachers to deliver curriculum
- values collegiality with other teachers and administrators
- has a warm and energetic personality and a good sense of humor
- has experience working in an independent school setting (preferred)
This teacher will collaborate with the eighth grade history teacher, co-teaching at least one block per week. In addition, this teacher will work closely with the overall eighth grade team consisting of a math teacher, science teacher, Spanish teacher, and a group of specialists - physical education, music, technology, and art.
Interested candidates should submit cover letter, resume, and references, addressed to Josh Stern, Head of School.
Please send materials electronically, in PDF format to Lisa Rappaport, Assistant to the Head of School: firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a full-time position with competitive salary and excellent benefits, commensurate with experience.
We fully and actively support equal opportunity for all people, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.