Hillbrook School Physical Education Teacher
Hillbrook School is seeking an experienced Physical Education teacher for the Lower and Middle School students. The Physical Education teacher works collaboratively within a P.E. team, with the Athletic Director, and the Lower and Middle School Heads to deliver personal, developmentally appropriate, and joyful learning experiences to each child in their care.
The ideal candidate will have previous Physical Education teaching experience, understand the benefits of an independent elementary school education, and be able to inspire others about Hillbrook’s mission, philosophy, program, culture and community.
The Physical Education teacher will enter the community at an exciting time in the school’s history. The school has increased enrollment from 315 students to over 350 students in just over a year, with future enrollment projected to reach 390 students by 2019. The school is in the early stages of an ambitious strategic plan, Vision 2020, which will help to further establish the school as a leader in the Bay Area and beyond in elementary education.
Hillbrook School is a co-ed, independent, junior kindergarten–8th grade school located on 14 acres of oak woodland in Los Gatos, CA. Founded in 1935, Hillbrook School remains deeply connected its historical roots as a school where children are known, learning is authentic and active, and success is measured one child at a time. During the past 80 years, we have grown and evolved from a small boarding school serving wards of the state to one of the leading independent schools in the Bay Area, and yet our vision remains the same - to inspire children to achieve their dreams and reach beyond themselves to make a difference in the world. Our talented faculty delivers a program that provides 350 students with a unique blend of challenging and engaging academics, visual and performing arts, passion-driven projects, and service opportunities.
Hillbrook School is a recognized leader in educational innovation, earning designation since 2010 as an Apple Distinguished School. Our 1:1 iPad program in the middle school, iLab Makerspace classroom, and Center for Teaching Excellence all stem from a commitment to being on the leading edge of best practices in education. Our faculty members present at conferences across the nation and globe each year, on topics that range from innovative uses of technology, to research studies we have conducted on the impact of classroom design on teaching and learning. Hillbrook is intentional about, and deeply committed to, cultural competency and professional growth. We are a community of highly-engaged, lifelong learners.
As noted in our recently rewritten and adopted Statement of Inclusivity, Hillbrook is an intentionally diverse community that strives to reflect the extraordinary diversity of Silicon Valley. We believe that educational excellence depends on the creation of a diverse and inclusive community where all people feel a full sense of membership. As a community, we lean into the sometimes complex and challenging conversations about inclusivity because we believe that the growth of a community and learner is continual, and striking a balance between individual and community can be difficult work.
Hillbrook School is an equal opportunity employer. Opportunities are open to all individuals without regard to race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, or handicap.
Salaries are competitive. Benefits include full medical, dental, and vision coverage; ample retirement planning with TIAA-CREF; a generous holiday schedule; access to and support with the latest state-of-the-art education technology; and a strong commitment to engaging and personalized professional development.
- Teach lower school and middle school physical education classes, and coach at least two seasons of after-school sports (one in the Fall and one in the Winter)
- Implement the school’s social emotional curriculum, which is based on the Responsive Classroom and Developmental Design framework
- Provide an active, developmentally appropriate and differentiated PE and Athletic program in collaboration with an experienced team of teachers, with an emphasis on physical activity, participation, development of motor skills, and delivery of a diverse program that helps students develop skills in a broad-range of sports and activities
- Actively participate in a faculty culture that is committed to being at the leading edge of K-8 education
- A love of elementary aged (JK-8) children
- BA required, Master’s degree preferred
- Three years teaching experience preferred, with an emphasis in physical education
- Ability to work in a collegial, collaborative environment
- A growth mindset, active sense of humor, warm personality, and excellent organizational skills
- Comfort with implementing current technology and curriculum
- Appreciation for diversity and commitment to the goal of maintaining an authentic, inclusive community
Visit our school’s website to learn more at www.hillbrook.org
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume as .pdf files to our Director of Human Resources, Rozanne Schiro (firstname.lastname@example.org).