The School: Founded in 1911, Columbus Academy is a PreK-12 coeducational college preparatory day school of over 1,070 students located on a 231-acre campus ten miles from downtown Columbus, Ohio. Student programs are organized into three divisions: Lower School (PreK-Grade 4), Middle School (Grades 5-8) and Upper School (Grades 9-12). The school offers a rigorous academic program as part of its mission to educate the whole child – mind, body and character. Columbus Academy faculty and staff members are expected to be continuous learners in their fields, to engage in caring and cooperative partnerships with colleagues and parents, to have a demonstrated commitment to the values of equity and inclusion, and to help each student reach his or her full potential.
The Position: Columbus Academy seeks a full-time Upper School Dean of Students to support students in grades 9-12, to begin July 2017.
- Bachelors degree required; Masters degree preferred
- 3+ years classroom teaching experience
- 2+ years administrative or supervisory-related experience
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Strong organizational and documentation skills
- Ability to manage sensitive and sometimes confidential information
Position Expectations: The individual selected to this position will be expected to carry out the following responsibilities:
- Engage in setting positive tone of upper school student life and culture
- Oversee students’ behavioral, academic and social development
- Administer and enforce school policies and disciplinary procedures
- Serve as member of Discipline & Honor Committee (DHC)
- Work closely with school counselor and academic dean on student issues of concern
- Serve on Child Support Team (CST) to strategize assistance for students and monitor changing needs
- Lead the Upper School (US) advisory program and advisory assignments
- Monitor and track student attendance
- Communicate with parents on matters of social, discipline and extra-curricular events
- Oversee after-school detention assignments
- Act as resource to faculty and staff in regards to issues of student misconduct, classroom management and school culture
- Chaperone and support dances and extra-curricular events (ex. Senior Trip, Lock-In)
- Manage freshman Unity Day activities at opening of school
- Assist in planning and organizing opening-of-school schedules, Convocation and Commencement-related events
- Collaborate with Lower School Admissions on Senior-Kindergarten buddy assignments
- Coordinate student representation at HOBY conferences and award events in central Ohio
- Assist with student elections and voting
- Demonstrate a commitment to continuous professional growth
- Assume a share of supervisory responsibilities expected of all upper school faculty members
- Assist/support Head of Upper School and faculty as needed
Physical Conditions: Candidates must be able to manage the following conditions:
- Classroom environment
- Mobility around school buildings and on different floors (handicap accessible)
- Repetitive motion (use of a computer keyboard)
- Periodic need to move light furniture, hang visuals in classroom, carry objects (no more than 40 pounds), etc.
- A non-smoking environment
Legal Requirements: All Columbus Academy employees must pass required criminal records checks. Where appropriate, individuals will also be required to provide proof of academic credentials.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send cover letter, resume and supporting materials to: Head of School, Columbus Academy, 4300 Cherry Bottom Road, Gahanna, OH 43230, or email@example.com.
Columbus Academy believes strongly in the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. We seek to identify and hire a greater number of faculty of color to serve as role models for all students. We strive to foster a diverse campus community, which recognizes the value of all persons regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, disability or socio-economic background.