NHSI Theatre Arts Core Faculty
National High School Institute: This is a 5-week summer position, full-time day and evening commitment, June 22nd through July 30th, 2017. [Option to continue into Musical Theatre Extension from July 31st through August 13th, 2017 available based on qualifications.] Salary is TBD based on qualification/experience.
This position is for the National High School Institute (colloquially known as The Cherub program) located at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL.
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a temporary opportunity at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal development.
Job Summary: Day-to-day responsibilities include teaching and supervising students, implementing academic program activities, mentoring undergraduate Faculty Associates, attending staff meetings and helping to address staff and student questions and concerns. The Faculty maintains and fosters high standards of professional conduct, managing the safety and supervision of students through enforcement of NHSI policies and procedures. All candidates must possess and demonstrate an interest in the artistic, academic, social and emotional growth of high school students, serve as mature and positive role models for students, and exhibit a strong work ethic and commitment to teamwork.
- Leading students by teaching classes and/or directing productions in two of the following three areas:
- Acting or Voice and Movement
- Electives, Performance Theory, or Text Analysis
- Directing one of our eight productions
- Attend program orientation (June 22nd through June 24th, 2017)
- Follow all NHSI rules and regulations concerning staff conduct, appropriate dress, program procedures, and other responsibilities as set forth in the staff handbook
- Be knowledgeable of administrative policies and University procedures
- Please note that this is not a typical "summer camp" job-but a 24/7 commitment where Faculty members are expected to be available when classes are in session, for field trips, for performances, etc.
- If interested in the 2-week musical theatre extension, lead students by teaching acting, voice or dance classes and/or directing/music directing productions, etc.
- Master's Degree in Theatre, or Bachelor's Degree in Theatre with equal professional work
- At least two years of experience in professional theatre environment
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic and commitment to collaborative work
- Supervisory experience, preferably in a fast-paced academic environment
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Date Posted: 2/1/2017