NHSI Technical Theatre Faculty/Staff
National High School Institute: This is full time work from June 25 -July 30, 2017, with the possibility to continue with the Musical Theatre Extension through August 13, 2017 based on interest and qualifications. Salary is TBD based on qualification/experience.
This position is for the National High School Institute (colloquially known as The Cherub program) located at Northwestern University in Evanston, IL.
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a temporary opportunity at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal development.
Job Summary: Day-to-day responsibilities include teaching and supervising students as they fully build and mount eight productions, implementing academic program activities, communicating with instructors and support staff, attending staff meetings and helping to address staff and student questions and concerns. The Faculty maintains and fosters high standards of professional conduct, managing the safety and supervision of students through enforcement of NHSI policies and procedures. All candidates must possess and demonstrate an interest in the artistic, academic, social and emotional growth of high school students, serve as mature and positive role models for students, and exhibit a strong work ethic and commitment to teamwork. All Design/Technical faculty and staff interact with and supervise student crews.
- Work in up to 8 productions in one of the following positions:
- Production Manager
- Scenic Designer
- Costume Designer
- Lighting Designer
- Sound Designer
- Props Designer
- Technical Director
- Assistant Technical Director
- Scenic Charge Artist
- Costume Shop Manager
- Costume Shop Assistant/Stitcher
- Master Electrician
- Assistant Master Electrician
- Sound Engineer
- Production Assistant
- Guide and assist students in building and/or running crews
- Teach and/or assist in design and tech related classes.
- Attend online and in-person pre-production and production meetings beginning in May
- Attend program orientation (June 22-June 24, 2017)
- Follow all NHSI rules and regulations concerning staff conduct, appropriate dress, program procedures, and other responsibilities as set forth in the staff handbook
- Be knowledgeable of administrative policies and University procedures
- Please note that this is not a typical "summer camp" job-but a 24/7 commitment where Faculty members are expected to be available when classes are in session, for field trips, for performances, etc.
- Master's Degree in Theatre, or Bachelor's Degree in Theatre with equal professional work
- At least two years of experience in professional theatre environment
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic and commitment to collaborative work
- Supervisory experience, preferably in a fast-paced academic environment
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Date Posted: 2/1/2017