Reports to Programs Manager
Gads Hill Center, a social service organization established in 1898, creates opportunities for children and their families to build a better life through education, access to resources and community engagement.
This position provides academic support and out-of-school time enrichment activities for children ages 5-12. The Youth Worker will plan, develop and implement age-appropriate activities that support the cognitive and social-emotional development of children. Youth Workers assist children with completing homework daily and help them acquire effective study and work skills. Finally, the Youth Worker collects required programmatic data on an ongoing basis and maintains accurate records of student performance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee youth in Junior Building Leaders.
- Conduct after-school pick-ups on a daily basis.
- Implement daily enrichment curriculum to support academic and social-emotional learning, as well as active play, including STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, math) disciplines, literacy, and Junior Achievement.
- Maintain a safe, clean, and organized classroom environment at all times that is conducive to student learning.
- Assist students with completion of daily homework and support development of positive study skills.
- Conduct and record accurate daily attendance of program participants.
- Complete meal sheets on a daily basis and ensure they are correct.
- Report to Program Specialist when students have been absent for more than 3 days in a month.
- Maintain and update the pick-up lists for Junior Building Leaders with the assistance of the Program Specialist.
- Maintain and update the emergency contact forms for all parents or people authorized to pick-up children in Junior Building Leaders with the assistance of the Program Specialist.
- Complete SAYO-Staff twice a year for each youth participant.
- Support planning and implementation of field trips and parent meetings for Junior Building Leaders.
- Adhere to DCFS Licensing Standards at all times and notify supervisor of any potential licensing violations.
In addition to the responsibilities listed above, all Gads Hill Center employees are responsible for the following:
- Participating in agency outreach and recruitment events, including evenings and weekends.
- Participating in supervision meetings and workshops within the agency and outside (if applicable).
- Participating in civic engagement activities that advance the mission of Gads Hill Center.
- Advancing parent leadership development.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- One year of college education required with a minimum of six credit hours in child development or a related field. Associate’s degree in child development or a related field strongly preferred.
- Minimum of one year prior experience in a youth development, out-of-school time or educational setting.
- Able to work a flexible schedule, approximately 30 hours per week during the school year and 40 hours per week during summer months.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License and willingness to drive a 12-passenger van on a daily basis.
- Experience with diverse multicultural programming preferred.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to pass a criminal record and child abuse/neglect registry check.
- A passion for the mission of Gads Hill Center.
Entry Salary Range: $11-12 per hour
Schedule: 30 hours per week during the school year / 40 hours per week during summer
Location: 1919 W. Cullerton St., and 2653 W. Ogden Ave.
To apply, send resume, cover letter and transcripts by email to:
Human Resources Assistant
Phone: 312-226-0963 x 239