Professional Opportunity: Upper School History & English Teacher
Saint George’s School is an independent K-12 school, serving a population of approximately 375 students from the greater Spokane area. The school offers a vibrant and challenging academic program highlighted by the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program in 11th and 12th grades and complemented by a well-developed set of enrichment offerings. Students thrive due to low student-teacher ratio, and a caring and dedicated faculty who are open to collaboration and team building. SGS seeks team members who seek to continue their growth as professionals, both through reflective practice and outside professional development.
Saint George’s School seeks a part-time (.8 FTE), History and English teacher for the 2017-18 school year beginning July 1, 2017. The classes might include US History and 10th grade English, but this may change depending on the interests and expertise of the person hired. For English classes, teaching writing is a major focus. Successful candidates will: have a demonstrated expertise in their disciplines; love working with adolescents and their parents; have a strong understanding of pedagogy, a desire to collaborate closely with colleagues, and an interest in encouraging cross-curricular connections. Teachers at Saint George’s model life-long learning.
- Teach students in grades 9-12. Creating a positive and nurturing classroom environment that supports student learning.
- Teach a combination of History and English classes.
- Develop creative, challenging, and personalized curriculum resources that supplement or enhance textbook lessons.
- Facilitate student-centered learning, independent critical thinking skills, and essay writing skills with and without research.
- Work collaboratively with the department and attend professional development in order to stay current in the field and IB requirements.
- Cultivate frequent and effective communication to families.
- Serve as an advisor for 11-13 Upper School students.
- Share customary and typical duties to support the smooth functioning of the school.
- Chaperone and/or help organize class trips, outdoor programming, and other student activities.
The successful candidate will possess a BA with an advanced degree/certification being desirable. The ideal candidate will be available on occasion during the summer to work with administration in order to facilitate a smooth transition into the classroom.
Salary/Benefits: Salary is commensurate with experience. Full benefits are included for .6 FTE and above.
Application Process: Applicants should submit the following with their application materials:
- Cover letter explaining why they are particularly interested in and qualified for this position.
- Statement of Educational Philosophy.
- A current resume.
- At least three professional letters of reference.
- A Saint George’s Application of Employment (found on the school website).
- College Transcripts
Application materials should be sent to the following individual:
Registrar and Executive Assistant to Head of School
Saint George’s School
2929 West Waikiki Road
Spokane WA 99208
Phone: (509) 464-8830
Timeline: Applications are due by May 5th, 2017