The Robert & Judi Newman Center for the Performing Arts strives to provide the highest quality performing arts experiences for the University of Denver and the Colorado community. Each year the Newman Center for the Performing Arts hosts nearly 500 events serving more than 100,000 people from the community. The Newman Centers four stages feature performances of instrumental and vocal music from classical, alternative classical, jazz, pop, and countless world traditions, spoken theater, dance, and opera. Presenting an eclectic, innovative, and entertaining mix of emerging artists and seasoned performers, The Newman Center works to expand and enrich the community’s cultural experiences.
The Assistant Director of Learning and Community Engagement is a newly established position for the Newman Center for the Performing Arts (NCPA). In this role, the Assistant Director will work closely with the Executive Director to support NCPA's arts learning and community engagement initiatives. This position will have an essential role in broadening NCPA's campus and community reach through the development of arts learning and community engagement programming in conjunction with performing artists on the Newman Center Presents Series, as well as with performers of multiple genres throughout the Denver area.
- Develops, implements and evaluates performing arts-based learning and community engagement programs that align with NCPA's programming and organizational mission.
- Examples of programs include but are not limited to: Coordination of workshops and master classes with guest artists, management of all aspects of the Student Matinee Series, curation and facilitation of Behind the Curtain, a pre- and post- performance lecture series designed to enhance audience learning and engagement for Newman Center Presents performances, management (to include curriculum writing) of curriculum-based arts programming and teacher guide distribution for grades K-12, and management of campus engagement activities and programming.
- Establishes partnerships and collaborations between Newman Center Presents artists and the community (on-campus community, educational institutions, community-based organizations, etc.) for learning and engagement programs that will have a positive impact on the DU campus and surrounding community.
- Initiate and enhance dialogues with community members; develop community partnerships with a variety of organizations in the Denver area including, but not limited to, social service organizations, churches, community centers, arts organizations, educational institutions and leaders in underserved communities. Serve as the NCPA learning and engagement representative at community organization meetings, gatherings and events.
- Works closely with the Executive Director to develop goals and success metrics for learning and engagement initiatives; tracks participation numbers and participant demographics when possible.
- Develops programs that will enhance NCPA as a leader in the performing arts education arena.
- Works with the Executive Director and Advancement staff to deliver evaluation and assessment reports for funding associated with learning and community engagement programs.
- Works with the Marketing Director on audience development initiatives.
- Works with the Executive Director to develop the budget for learning and engagement initiatives; monitors the learning and engagement budget on a day-to-day basis.
- Manages student employees, interns and other student experiential learning.