| The Vice Provost for Advances in Learning (VPAL) at Harvard University invites applications from MA and Ph.D. level scholars with exceptional data analytics skills and relevant backgrounds in data science, statistics, computer science, psychology or educational research to advance higher education through Harvard's ongoing research on assessing and improving residential, blended, and open digital learning environments.|
The research scientist will work as part of the VPAL Research team who support the mission of VPAL at Harvard University. S/he will conduct data analyses, synthesize and apply relevant extant research, and develop and implement new learning technologies aligned with Harvard's core teaching and learning mission. Research scientists will convene with related data analytics, research and development groups to share expertise, provide feedback on each other's efforts, and collaborate on projects of mutual interest. As appropriate, insights gained through this work will be disseminated through a mix of internal reports, in-person presentations, posters, publishable academic manuscripts, and other channels to maximize impact on practice.
Although specific projects will evolve based on the data analytics and research needs of the University as well as the expertise and interests of the research scientist, specific responsibilities include:
This is a one-year term appointment, with strong likelihood of renewal.
- Conduct statistical analyses with large datasets and provide data visualizations.
- Perform complex analytical and programming tasks with limited direction.
- Provide analytic and program evaluation support to the research team.
- Identify methodological challenges related to the work and help resolve or elevate these within the research team.
- Help assemble, clean, and manage data sets derived from multiple sources.
- Serve as an in-house expert on quantitative methods and their application to evaluation of teaching and learning environments.
- Present key findings to internal and external audiences.
- Author and co-author reports, research proposals, issue briefs, and articles for publication.
Position is available for appointment as of July 1, 2017.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Please attach your cover letter, followed by your resume, as one document.
- Your cover letter should speak specifically about coursework in and experience using quantitative methods.
- In addition, please submit a writing sample on which you are the sole or lead author.
- We regret that Harvard University does not provide visa sponsorship for this position.
Salary Grade: 057
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary