Magen David Yeshivah Celia Esses, the largest modern Orthodox Jewish Day School in the United States, is offering an exceptional opportunity and challenge for a dynamic, resourceful, enthusiastic, take-charge person to design and develop an integrated career service and academic advisement program to ensure student success. He or she is responsible for the meeting the school’s number one goal, quality education.
The mission of Magen David Yeshivah is to ensure and globally support the continuity of Sephardic communities through education. Its vision is to develop a new, globally recognized center of excellence that prepares students to excel academically, graduate college as well as professional graduate schools, and apply their unique talents in the world to create economically independent and personally fulfilling lives. Magen David Yeshivah is a Middle States Accredited high school with several college and international partners. It has an internationally recognized ‘Magen David Model’ highlighted by a senior year internship program.
As a key member of the school’s collaborative, senior management team, the Chief Academic Officer will be the team leader charged with designing and developing, leading and implementing strategies unrelentingly focused on student academic achievement. The CAO will report to the Chief Operating Officer. This is a full time, exempt position located in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Areas of responsibility include core curriculum refinement, elective/career track development; classroom delivery of curriculum content; and faculty staffing.
As Member of Senior Management Team
• Set targets for measured and supported student achievement
• Participate in data-driven, academic assessment discussions regarding student performance outcomes
• Develop individualized, customized strategies to address student performance shortfalls
• Align academics with student orientation and advisement, career services, academic advisement, and student life
• Coordinate communications related to academic programming, assessment, and outcomes
• Develop transparent, formatted "school report card" for staff, parents and stakeholders regarding both individual student and overall school performance
• Disseminate school information to staff, parents, key stakeholders media, and general public
• Improve aesthetics and ‘powerhouse’ packaging
• Improve staff, student, and parent satisfaction
• Seek external recognition
Curriculum Development and Assessment:
• Implement standardized core curriculum, APs, and integrated SAT programming in compliance with state, national, and international standards
• Monitor the rapid, ever-changing ‘pulse’ of the business world and proactively design and develop career aligned elective program
• Integrate cross curriculum initiates
• Research effective strategies from other successful school models and incorporate as appropriate
• Recalibrate curriculum based on performance, changing standards, and emerging circumstances
Enhance the curriculum through the use of technology in classroom delivery of course content
• Design and work with CIO to expand ‘Smart Classroom’, online, flipped classroom programs
• Develop academic partnerships
• Provide instructional leadership to advance proven teaching and learning practices
• Recruit, select, maintain, and develop a competent, committed, and caring faculty
• Observe classes and teachers on a regular basis
Design professional development plans and programming for individual teachers to address deficits, build on strengths, and become more effective and successful team members
• Create mechanisms for regular communications with teaching staff
Confer with Chief Operating Officer on faculty evaluation, retention, and promotions