HudsonWay Immersion School (HWIS) is a progressive pre-K through Grade 8 Mandarin and Spanish Immersion School founded 15 years ago in the NJ/NY area. The school’s mission is to prepare students with the knowledge, skills and character to become global contributors and citizens of the world. Our values are excellence, respect, teamwork, integrity, communication, innovation, transparency, customer service, and accountability. HWIS has a strong academic reputation. Students perform well above average and are accepted at top tier independent schools.
HWIS is seeking a qualified and enthusiastic individual to join a team of talented teachers who are educating in English in a preschool to Grade 8 immersion program several subjects with a focus on elementary grades. Position reports to Head of School and is for the 2021-22 academic year in Stirling, NJ. The Head Teacher will be responsible for teaching English language and Humanities to elementary school students. S/He will have a solid understanding and commitment to the vision of the language immersion model. S/He will possess an excellent command of the language/instruction of English in order to model, teach and maintain high academic standards as well as adhere to the language policy of the classroom and HWIS.
Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Responsible for teaching using an inquiry model and ensures the curriculum is implemented in a way that maximizes student learning and embraces the school’s philosophy of learning
2. Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the time designated.
3. Uses instructional practices that foster learning for all students - Plans a program of study that meets the individual needs of students i.e.: differentiates instruction for children of different linguistic, cultural, and academic backgrounds, as well as for children with different learning styles, needs, interests, and abilities of the students.
4. Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students. Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
5. Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and, in harmony with the goals, establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
6. Prepares for classes assigned and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor
7. Keep parents informed of student progress and accomplishments, including linguistic benchmarks
8. Ensures that assessment data is used to inform instructional decisions
9. Actively involved in school development
10. Participates in school co-curricular activities, events, professional development meetings, etc.
11. Actively participate in HWIS middle school advisory program; Works with his/her middle school Team, planning closely, attending collaborative planning sessions and co-teaching where appropriate.
12. Attends professional development, curriculum development sessions and staff meetings and serves on committees as required
13. Assesses student’s progress on a regular basis and provides progress reports as required.
14. Maintains accurate and correct records as required by law, school policy and administrative regulations.
15. Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
16. Ensures student safety by performing supervisory duties at selected breaks and lunchtimes
17. Other duties, as assigned by the School.
Bachelors or master’s degree in elementary education
At least 4 years’ experience as an English Language Arts Teacher in upper elementary or Middle School
Teacher Certification in appropriate subject area preferred
Open-minded, enthusiastic, and demonstrates a willingness to embrace a unique, multicultural school culture
A strong knowledge of differentiation strategies
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Excellent organizational and classroom management skills
Strong computer skills, including internet, MS office, use of technology in classroom
Must have experience or an interest in working in an immersion program at school that strongly supports and embraces language and culture as part of the curriculum
We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, FSA, life insurance, 401K and more.
Please submit a cover letter with salary requirements and a resume.
We regret that we can not respond to every applicant. Only those of interest will be contacted.