Greensboro, North Carolina
Fort Worth, Texas
Charlotte, North Carolina
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Type: Part Time
Start Date: Ongoing
Brooklyn Friends School (BFS), a thriving Preschool-12 grade school located in vibrant Downtown Brooklyn, seeks an Athletic Coach within a dynamic community of colleagues (BFS uses the all-inclusive term, colleagues, to refer to all rather than one that delineates faculty/staff). Founded in 1867, Brooklyn Friends School’s pillars of social justice, service learning/civic engagement, and Quakerism, serve as guideposts for our action-oriented collective work. Our school’s history has been illustrious and reflective of the expansive nature of human experiences. Guided by our mission, BFS provides a dynamic, diverse, and robust social/emotional environment and academic program that cultivates compassionate, intellectually curious, and confident changemakers. As a school, we affirm that human diversity includes, but is not limited to: race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, socioeconomic class, family structure and physical ability, as well as diversity of thought, talents, and learning style. Brooklyn Friends School does not discriminate based on these characteristics or any characteristic prohibited by law and provides reasonable accommodations to otherwise qualified colleagues and applicants. If you need an accommodation related to any part of the hiring process, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This short video gives you a glimpse into our contemporary experience.
Brooklyn Friends School is proud to offer the following sports: Soccer, Volleyball, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Cross Country, Indoor Track, Outdoor Track, Squash, and Swimming. We are looking for reliable, responsible, role models with specific coaching and playing experience. Those with a background in the sport are preferred. This part time job requires numerous duties including pre-season, in-season, and postseason. Some travel may be involved. Coaches must be available from 2:30pm-6:30pm daily during the course of each season.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
This position reports to the Director of Athletic Program and Vision and the Director of Athletic Operations and Management.
- Teach fundamental and more advanced skills to players, differentiating as necessary for players’ growth and development
- Attend all scheduled games and practices
- Manage and coordinate practice and game plans in partnership with partner coaches, Director of Athletic Program and Vision and the Director of Athletic Operations and Management.
- Handling all administrative duties related to their team
- Attend all necessary athletic and school meetings and events (including orientation and end-of-season celebration)
Union Status: Non-Union
Salary Range: $1,500 – $6,000 per season per sport
This salary range represents the expected salary range for this position. Ultimately, your pay will be determined based on your role (Head Coach or Assistant Coach) and the anticipated time commitment of the role.
To apply, complete our online coaches application, including:
- Three references (with emails, phone numbers, and relationship to you).
- Uploaded resume/curriculum vitae/cover letter, preferably as one PDF.
- Your cover letter should be addressed to Christian Brown (Director of Athletic Program and Vision) and David Gardella (Director of Athletic Operations and Management). Along with punctuating your interest in the position, please share how you feel that your professional journey aligns with our school’s Quaker values and pillars of social justice and civic engagement.
Qualified candidates will be contacted after materials have been reviewed.
Brooklyn Friends School COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
We appreciate your interest in employment at Brooklyn Friends School. We would like to note that the School has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires all faculty and staff to be fully vaccinated, including the booster once eligible and provide proof of vaccination.
Qualifications and Characteristics Sought:
- Relevant coaching experience
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work well with student-athletes, parents, faculty/staff, and the athletics department
- Current First Aid/CPR and Concussion Management Course certification, or the ability to do these trainings before the season commences
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the sport, with special consideration given to those having experience with the desired age category
- Enthusiasm, commitment, patience, and a passion for teaching the game
- Ability to motivate and provide positive leadership to our student-athletes, in alignment with our mission and values as a Quaker school
- College playing experience (preferred)
Physical Requirements of the Job
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- Must be able to work outdoors or in spaces without heat or air conditioning, and which are subject to variable temperatures and humidity.