East Lansing, Michigan
Utica, New York
Roswell, New Mexico
Glassboro, New Jersey
Ithaca, New York
New York, New York
Greensboro, North Carolina
Location: Austin, Texas
Type: Full Time
Headwaters School, a Pre-K through grade 12 independent day school serving 530 students across its three campuses in Austin, TX, is seeking a full time History Teacher in our High School for the 2023-2024 academic year.
At Headwaters, our guides nurture a school culture that promotes a growth mindset, a collaborative spirit, a joyful environment, and the achievement of high expectations. Our faculty and staff ensure all members of our school community understand their role in advancing issues of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion. Headwaters School supports the professional growth of our school faculty in order to contribute to their feelings of fulfillment, to provide a model of lifelong learning for our students, and to advance the strategic goals of the school.
Our faculty members are responsible for bringing our Purpose statement to life: to cultivate identity formation, foster empathy, and embrace diversity to bring more peace to the world. In addition, they guide our students to live authentically, think expansively, and create bravely. We invite our students, guides, staff, parents, and trustees to be Peacemakers, Advocates, Creators, and Thinkers.
The course load for this position will include teaching four sections of IB High School History, Theory of Knowledge and an advisory. Candidates will also be prepared to participate in the life of the school, including, but not limited to supervision of lunch, teaching an elective, coaching, sponsoring a club, serving as an advisor, chaperoning trips, and other duties as assigned by the High School Director.
Teaching Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's Degree required, degree in History, Humanities, Education or a related field preferred
- At least three years prior experience teaching History and Social Studies in a middle school or high school setting
- Extensive knowledge and ability to teach any grade level of high school History, including 20th Century American and World History
- International Baccalaureate (IB) experience and training, preferred
- Experience developing curriculum strongly preferred
Ideal candidates will possess the following skills:
- Advanced Degree, preferred
- Passion for working with young people
- Strong commitment to equity, inclusion and belonging practice and curriculum in the classroom
- Team player
- Commitment to personal and professional development
- Ability to maintain calm and focus
- Operate with a high level of integrity and organization
- Experience integrating technology in pedagogy and the classroom
This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position and compensation is competitive for the greater Austin area. The School offers a wide-range of benefits including generous paid time off, 100% paid medical insurance for the employee, a 401(k) retirement plan, on-going professional support and continuing education opportunities, 50% tuition remission for enrolled children of full-time school employees, and a unique working environment where you are able to share and receive ongoing feedback. This position reports to the Director of the High School.
Interested applicants should email a resume, cover letter, and educational philosophy statement to Leslie Hirsch, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com.
Headwaters School welcomes applicants from all backgrounds. As a 501(c)3 non-profit school, Headwaters provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local anti-discrimination law. The School’s equal employment opportunity practices extend to recruitment, hiring, selection, compensation, benefits, transfer, promotion, training, discipline, and all other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment. All Employees are responsible for complying with the School’s equal employment opportunity policy.