Brooklyn, New York
East Lansing, Michigan
Utica, New York
Glassboro, New Jersey
Clinton, New York
Ithaca, New York
New York, New York
Greensboro, North Carolina
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Type: Full Time
Physical Education Teacher / Physical Education Department Chair
Start Date: August 2023
Brooklyn Friends School (BFS), a thriving Preschool-12 grade school located in vibrant Downtown Brooklyn, seeks a Physical Education Teacher with the potential for the position to also include Physical Education Department Chair for interested and qualified candidates. This role serves the Physical Education program within a dynamic community of colleagues (BFS uses the all-inclusive term, colleagues, to refer to all rather than one that delineates faculty/staff). Founded in 1867, Brooklyn Friends School’s pillars of social justice, service learning/civic engagement, and Quakerism, serve as guideposts for our action-oriented collective work. Our school’s history has been illustrious and reflective of the expansive nature of human experiences. Guided by our mission, BFS provides a dynamic, diverse, and robust social/emotional environment and academic program that cultivates compassionate, intellectually curious, and confident changemakers. As a school, we affirm that human diversity includes, but is not limited to: race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, socioeconomic class, family structure and physical ability, as well as diversity of thought, talents, and learning style. Brooklyn Friends School does not discriminate based on these characteristics or any characteristic prohibited by law and provides reasonable accommodations to otherwise qualified colleagues and applicants. If you need an accommodation related to any part of the hiring process, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This short video gives you a glimpse into our contemporary experience.
Reporting to the Head of Middle School, the Physical Education Teacher / Department Chair collaborates with grade level colleagues, learning specialists, and administration to plan, create, and implement curriculum. Applicants should have experience working with and teaching a student-centered physical education curriculum. Demonstration of strong classroom management skills, an investment in continued professional growth, comfort using classroom technology, and a commitment to promoting a diverse community is expected. The Physical Education Teacher is responsible for ongoing assessment of students and communication with parents and Division Heads about children’s progress. Additionally, all Middle School colleagues serve as co-advisors and are responsible for the overall support and wellbeing of a small group of students in their care. All Middle School teachers are expected to be active community members, sharing supervisory duties and general support and care of the school community.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
This position reports to the Head of Middle School. Please note: the application process for this position may include the Department Chair role if interest and qualifications are aligned.
- Teach Physical Education classes in the Lower, Middle School, and Upper School.
- Support the academic/social/emotional development of all students
- Collaborate with colleagues to plan, create, and implement curriculum
- Communicate effectively with families with regard to all aspects of classroom life and child development
- Serve as a Middle School Advisor
- Be responsible for ongoing student assessment
- Share supervisory duties and general support and care of the school community
- Perform necessary routine tasks and daily maintenance of the classroom
- Serves as an active community member that is highly collaborative and partners well with teachers, families, administration, and students
Note: Physical Education Teachers are highly encouraged to be a coach at Brooklyn Friends School.
Union Status: Union
Salary Range: $68,500 - $90,900
This salary range represents the expected annual salary range for this position. Ultimately, in determining your pay, we'll consider your education level, experience, and other job-related factors.
To apply, please provide the following:
- Cover letter addressed to the Head of Middle School. Along with punctuating your interest and experience, your cover letter should also address how you feel that your professional journey aligns with our school’s Quaker values and pillars of social justice and civic engagement.
- Should you be interested in the Department Chair role, please indicate your interest in your cover letter and use the subject line application email to PE Teacher & Department Chair.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- List of three references (with emails, phone numbers, and relationship to you).
- Letters of recommendation are highly encouraged.
- Completed online application.
Please email the above attachments (if possible as a single PDF) to email@example.com and PEposition@brooklynfriends.org, and put PE Teacher in the subject line. Qualified candidates will be contacted after materials have been reviewed.
Qualifications and Characteristics Sought:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree preferred).
- Has relevant experience in a school setting.
- Professional dedication to progressive education, the division, and the whole school.
- Has strong classroom management skills.
- Is invested in continued professional growth.
- Demonstrates strong written and verbal communication.
- Is comfortable working with families.
- Models collaboration and can speak to serving as a member of a team.
- Approaches work with flexibility, patience, grace, connection, and a willingness to learn.
- Demonstrates cultural competency and a commitment to diversity, equity, and belonging, and Quaker Values.
- Genuine ability and desire to work across differences and be respectful of them (intellectually and socially).
- A respect for the life of the child.
- Joyful and has a respectful sense of humor.
- Compassion, integrity, and open-mindedness in all interactions.
- Collegiality, approachability, flexibility, and adaptability.
- Interest in and willingness to use new and different educational approaches.
- Consistently strong, respectful, and gracious interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to partner and collaborate across professional statuses, i.e., with all staff, administrators, families, student body, local and national independent school community, and neighborhood community.
- Brings a passion and desire to create a joyful learning environment
Physical Requirements of the Job:
- Must be able to ambulate through a classroom setting, including walking up stairs.
- Must be able to lift and carry small children up to 40lbs in the case of emergency.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work outdoors or in spaces without heat or air conditioning, and which are subject to variable temperatures and humidity.