Greensboro, North Carolina
Mill Valley, California
Durham, North Carolina
Durham, North Carolina
Fort Worth, Texas
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Type: Full Time
This position will commence Aug 2023 for the 23-24 Academic Year
Best Apply Date: By March 15, 2023
Bolles proudly employs over 400 full time, part time and seasonal faculty, staff, coaches, and administrators. Serving over 1,700 students on our four campuses in Grades Pre-K through 12, Bolles has a rich history in tradition and achievement that extends to our hiring practices and the professionalism and respect garnered in the independent school community.
Upper School represents the culmination of all which Bolles offers in educational excellence and college preparation. A highly committed faculty, consisting of teachers who are recognized as educational leaders in their subjects, presents a curriculum which promotes individual motivation and makes learning a stimulating experience. Within this accelerated academic environment, there are stirring moments of discovery and victories over difficult assignments. Each student is offered the opportunity to excel in some way by exploring personal interests and abilities. Challenging each student to feel that level of personal satisfaction is the goal of those involved in Upper School teaching.
The Upper School curriculum is designed to prepare each student for college and beyond. All classes are taught in a demanding but exciting environment that refines the skills of each student. Honors classes and the Advanced Placement Program encourage students to reach for the highest level of their abilities while allowing students to receive advanced placement and/or college credits.
The Bolles School searches worldwide for teachers who demonstrate experience in their field of study.
Position Purpose: Responsible for preparing History & Social Studies curriculum, providing instruction to upper school students, and engaging students in the learning process.
- Design and implement course objectives and outline for course of study following department curriculum objectives and guidelines
- Prepare and present innovative lessons using varied teaching methods
- Prepare, administer, and evaluate assessments
- Collaborate as appropriate with colleagues, in particular those teaching same course(s)
- Outline course and classroom expectations and rules of conduct for students and parents/guardians
- Maintains order in classroom and on school grounds
- Counsel students when issues arise, either academic or behavioral
- Discuss students’ academic and behavioral attitudes and achievements with advisors and parents/guardians
- Keep attendance and grade records as required by school
- Perform all duties – lesson planning, grading, comment writing, etc. – in a timely manner
- Prepare report cards and write individual comments
- Coordinate class field trips, where applicable
- Communicate effectively and in a timely manner in response to inquiries from parents or colleagues.
- Make full use of professional development opportunities (further education, reading, workshops, conferences, etc.) and demonstrate creative initiative in keeping current in one’s own discipline, to include keeping up to date on the latest use of technology in the classroom
- Bachelor’s degree in appropriate field of study from a four-year college or university; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum three years teaching experience; preferably in an independent school environment
- Experience teaching additional Social Studies courses (psychology, human geography, economics, etc.) preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Demonstrated leadership and classroom management skills
- Demonstrated ability to create an active learning environment in the classroom
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of technology in the classroom
- Demonstrates and enthusiastically supports the School’s Mission
- Performs in a manner that reflects positively on The Bolles School
- Communicates well and works effectively with all school personnel and families, as well as with the larger business and educational community
- Performs other duties as requested
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Must be able to access and navigate all areas of the school and other facilities as needed.