East Lansing, Michigan
Utica, New York
Glassboro, New Jersey
Clinton, New York
Ithaca, New York
New York, New York
Location: Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
The School of Graduate & Professional Studies invites applications for director of the Master of Social Work program. This position is responsible for developing and launching this new graduate level program, including but not limited to curriculum development and accreditation applications with CSWE. Responsibilities include teaching, student recruitment and retention, curriculum development and assessment, and faculty and staff hiring and supervision. The director will pursue academic excellence within the program by providing program leadership, promoting the program and enhancing its visibility, assisting with the achievement of recruitment and retention goals, and managing the day-to-day logistics of the program.
- Teaching in needed areas of expertise. May include graduate and undergraduate level courses
- Academic student advising
- Actively engage in institutional service
- Maintain scholarship agenda
Program Director responsibilities
- Apply for, obtain, and maintain accreditation from CSWE
- Develop and nurture a positive, productive climate among program faculty and students
- Recruit, support, develop, assign, and evaluate full-time and adjunct faculty
- Develop and implement curriculum and course rotation for a graduate level educational program
- Maintain quality control in courses including LMS use and expectations for faculty presence in courses
- Create and maintain assessment of student learning
- Review, create and revise program policies and student handbooks as necessary
- Manage and administer the program including the program budget
- Collaborate with the registrar’s office to review and approve transfer credits, verify that graduation requirements have been met, and ensure curriculum integrity
- Serve as an effective spokesperson for the program with internal and external audiences
- Advocate for growth and advancement of the program and profession in accordance with trends and standards of the field
- Collaborate with PR/Marketing/Enrollment management to develop appropriate program recruitment materials and maintain the website
- Collaborate with Enrollment Management to establish enrollment goals, support the admissions process, review applicant files, and communicate admissions decisions in a timely fashion.
- Respond in a timely manner (generally within 24 hours) to current and prospective students
- Participate in SGPS leadership team functions
- Supervise the program’s administrative assistant
- Maintain consistent and reliable attendance
- Ph.D. in Social Work or related field
- Experience in higher education teaching and administration
- Experience working in the social work field
- Demonstrated administrative excellence, preferably in an academic setting
- Supervisory experience in social work and/or higher education
The Program: Messiah University’s Master’s of Social Work is designed to prepare graduates with the knowledge, dispositions, and skills they need to be exemplary practitioners, scholars, and leaders in the field of Social Work. Our program is offered primarily online.
The School: Advancing the mission of Messiah University, the School of Graduate and Professional Studies educates students for a lifetime of intellectual exploration, ethical leadership and exceptional professional practice within a complex world. Our programs include ten master’s degrees, two doctoral degrees, and numerous graduate certificates and post-master’s certificates. The coursework for most of our graduate programs is conducted primarily online, with some programs being fully online and others being fully residential. Messiah University is a nationally ranked, accredited university that successfully integrates top-tier academics and Christian faith.
The University: Messiah University is a Christian university of the liberal and applied arts and sciences and has a student body of nearly 2,500 undergraduate students including 18.5% under-represented and 2.6% international students from 22 countries and over 700 graduate students including 18.8% of students from under-represented populations.
The University is committed to an embracing evangelical spirit rooted in the Anabaptist, Pietist and Wesleyan traditions of the Christian Church. Our mission is to educate men and women toward maturity of intellect, character and Christian faith in preparation for lives of service, leadership and reconciliation in church and society. Messiah University is a teaching institution that emphasizes instruction but values research and public service. Strong support is given to faculty development in teaching and scholarship.
Diversity: Messiah University’s commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence draws inspiration from its mission “to educate men and women toward maturity of intellect, character and Christian faith in preparation for lives of service, leadership and reconciliation in church and society.” The university has pursued this vision through a strategic planning process that encourages diversity through employee and student composition, campus climate, and an educational program that enables educators and students to embrace diversity. Candidates should clearly articulate why diversity and cultural intelligence matter to them as persons of faith as well as in their profession. Candidates will speak to how as a potential employee, they will contribute to the advancement of this vision through their teaching-learning, research, institutional service, and public engagement.
Starting Date for Position: Summer or Fall 2023
Compensation: Messiah University offers a strong benefits package in addition to salary and rank commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applications: Application materials will be reviewed upon receipt and will be accepted until the position is filled.
Please provide the following:
Cover letter that outlines your interest in the position, College/University Transcript(s), Curriculum Vitae, Personal Statement of Faith that details how your Christian faith is a strong fit with the mission and identity of Messiah University and how it impacts your teaching experience, your philosophy of teaching, and a statement that demonstrates your commitment to diversity and inclusion that is consistent with Messiah University’s goals.
Curriculum Vitae must include: (1) education, (2) previous employment history, (3) scholarly and professional accomplishments (e.g., papers, publication, recitals, showings), (4) membership in scholarly, professional, or honor societies, and (5) awards and honors received.
Please apply via the following link: https://jobs.messiah.edu/postings/24067
Messiah University does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, disability, or veteran’s status in the recruitment and admission of students, the recruitment and employment of faculty and staff, or the operation of any of its programs. Consistent with our nondiscrimination statement, the University does not tolerate abuse or harassment of employees, students or other individuals associated with the University. This includes, but is not limited to, vendors, contractors, and guests on the basis of, but not limited to, any of the above categories.