Glassboro, New Jersey
Clinton, New York
New York, New York
Hamilton, New York
Location: Berkeley, California
Type: Full Time
Internal Number: 232402
Maybeck High School, a small, independent, teacher-run, college-preparatory high school in Berkeley, seeks an art teacher for the 2023-2024 academic year. The position can range from 50% to full-time, depending on candidate interest and fit for the role. The Art Teacher teaches as many as 3 art classes each semester, with potential to teach a 4th elective in a range of disciplines. Each class meets three times weekly from late August through May. Art classes in our recent programming include Art Methods & Materials, Drawing, Figure Drawing, and Painting. We support teachers to teach classes in their discipline that align with their passion and expertise. We are looking for applicants who have demonstrated excellence in teaching art to bright, creative, engaged students.
Typical responsibilities of Maybeck employees include:
- Work with another staff member to design & run a 10-day intersession course in April; some programs are local and during school hours; others travel regionally and internationally.
- Attend our all-school camping trips: a 4-night cabin camping trip in August and a 2-3 night tent camping trip in May
- Meet with an advisory of 6-8 students for 25 minutes weekly.
- Participate in staff meetings, committees, and other school events
- A bachelor's degree
- Relevant teaching experience, preferably at the high school level or with adolescent students.
- Ability to collaborate on teams, desire to participate in a teacher-led school.
- Knowledge of and expertise in various art forms, such as painting, drawing, sculpture, ceramics, printmaking, digital media arts, or graphic design.
- Ability to engage and build rapport with students of diverse backgrounds and skill levels and a commitment to serving students equitably.
- Willingness to collaborate with other teachers, administrators, and parents to support student learning and growth.
- A commitment to ongoing professional development
Maybeck High School is an equal opportunity employer. A teaching credential is not required for this position.