East Lansing, Michigan
Glassboro, New Jersey
Clinton, New York
Ithaca, New York
New York, New York
Greensboro, North Carolina
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Type: Full Time
Poly Prep invites applications for the position of History Department Chair. We seek a talented, innovative individual to lead an accomplished and collegial department in pursuit of academic excellence in the study and practice of history and social science. The ideal candidate will promote state-of-the-art curricular pathways that enable our students to understand world and American histories as evolving narratives with important relevance to the present; encourage and facilitate professional growth among departmental faculty; model excellent pedagogy and best practices regarding curricular design, assessments, and grading; and collaborate with other department chairs and members of the administration to provide academic leadership in a variety of contexts consistent with our School mission and DEIB priorities.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Teach 3 classes/sections of U.S. and/or World Histories
- Keep an accurate and up-to-date online gradebook and promote student success by providing support as needed on an individual basis
- Promote a vision for the department’s growth as a leader in history and social science education
- Lead regularly scheduled departmental meetings and participate actively in weekly faculty, grade-level, and department chair meetings
- Evaluate faculty within the context of departmental and individual goals, motivate them to pursue professional growth, and support them as needed in all facets of their professional responsibilities
- Actively and energetically participate in school events throughout the academic year
- Lead speaker series, design discussion forums, and undertake initiatives to promote student engagement with historians and other experts in the field
- Co-advise an Affinity Space or co-teach a DEIB (Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Belonging) class that meets once every seven-day cycle
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Head of School, Academics and the Head of School
Salary Range: $107K-$135K
Poly Prep strives to be an equitable, just, and diverse community, one proud of and deeply committed to empowering students to discover who they are and what they want to be. In keeping with the country day school philosophy, we seek community members who will share a passion for learning in and out of the classroom. Every educator at Poly Prep aspires to uphold our mission “to support and inspire the next diverse generation of leaders and global citizens to act with intelligence, imagination and--above all--character.”
We offer a supportive environment, with a full benefits package (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, a generous match on our 403(b) retirement plan, long-term disability, flexible spending account, pre-tax commuter benefit, and free lunch).
How to Apply: Interested applicants should go to https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=77fb72f9-1514-4f33-b164-2affd41296f6&ccId=19000101_000001&type=JS&lang=en_US to submit their resume, cover letter and specific evidence of qualifications to Michal Hershkovitz, Assistant Head of School, Academics.
Poly Prep is an equal opportunity employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Education: Master’s degree in history, political science, or a related field
Experience: Minimum of three years teaching experience; some leadership experience
Specific Skills: Excellent writing, oral communication, interpersonal, organizational, and
administrative skills required.
Special Requirements: N/A
Requirement: All employees must be fully vaccinated and show proof of their full COVID 19 vaccination.