Glassboro, New Jersey
Ithaca, New York
New York, New York
Durham, North Carolina
Location: Rindge, New Hampshire
Type: Full Time
Classroom Teacher - English
At Hampshire Country School a Classroom Teacher is responsible for, but not limited to, delivering academic curriculum in both traditional and experiential learning models. Classroom teachers also participate in individualized, academic planning for each student, weekly faculty meetings, and duties related to living in a highly specialized boarding school community for twice exceptional students. This position will work predominantly with grades 6-9, but may be asked to adjust up or down depending on enrollment profile.
Housing and utilities can be provided with this position. Summer employment opportunities are also possible.
45% - Delivers instruction in hybrid teaching learning model combining four days of traditional classroom instruction with one day per week in outdoor, experiential instruction.
35% - Academic planning and communication to create instruction that is appropriate to student profile, highly experiential, and integrated with our land through farm and adventure engagement.
10% - Learning Community responsibilities include weekend activities, enjoying meals together, and helping to build relationships with students and faculty outside of specific teaching and activity responsibilities.
10% - Individual student support through one-on-one sponsorship of interests, projects, and unique needs.
In carrying out their duties, the Classroom Teacher also:
- Aligns with school Mission, Vision, and Program.
- Engages with students and builds positive relationships.
- Participates in meals and community life in addition to job responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility for submitting requests to the Student Resource Manager for classroom materials and supplies.
Commitments, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to participate in individualized academic planning for each individual student.
- Ability to generate lesson plans adaptive to multiple settings and teaching modalities.
- A commitment to students’ dignity and their whole learning process.
- A commitment to the method of lightheartedness, understanding, structure, and compassion.
- A commitment to experiential, outdoor, and adventure based learning.
- Facilitation, presentation, interpersonal, and mediation skills.
- Have the ability to manage a number of competing demands and triage what needs attention first.
- Resilience and creativity.
- Familiarity with challenging students and difficult behaviors.
- Being flexible and adapting to changing circumstances.
- Being willing and able to exercise judgement and take risks.
- A minimum of 2 years teaching experience in an academic setting working with twice exceptional students.
- A bachelors or higher degree in education and/or subject area.
To seek more information or apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume or CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will be open until filled.
Hampshire Country School (HCS) is a 10 month boarding school in southern New Hampshire for high-ability, neurodiverse boys enrolling in later elementary or middle school. HCS offers understanding, light-heartedness, and structure to educate boys in a family-style, supportive, and collaborative learning community. For more information: http://www.hampshirecountryschool.org
Hampshire Country School is an AA/EEO employer and does not discriminate against any person or group on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, pregnancy, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information. Hampshire Country School is building a culturally diverse faculty and staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and encourages applications from minorities and women.