Charleston, South Carolina
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, USA
Ithaca, New York
Providence, Rhode Island
Clinton, New York
Wilmington, North Carolina
East Lansing, Michigan
Roswell, New Mexico
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Location: Berkeley, California
Internal Number: 3989482
Lab Manager (9602C), Department Of Chemistry - 50319
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
The College of Chemistry is comprised of:
- The Department of Chemistry
- The Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
Both disciplines provide the opportunity and means for meeting major scientific and technological challenges, such as addressing climate change, increasing the world's food supply, synthesizing new materials, and discovering and delivering important drugs. The college prides itself on a balanced approach to science, with research areas ranging from experimental to theoretical. Faculty in both departments are engaged in teaching and research in a wide range of applications and sub-disciplines.
UC Berkeley was rated the number one public university in the US for 2022, with the Department of Chemistry rated the best program for chemistry in the world in 2019. Since 1946, UC Berkeley has won 8 Nobel Prizes for Chemistry, our most recent was awarded in 2020.
The ideal applicant will serve as a lab manager for the Schepartz laboratory and provide administrative support to the NSF Center for Genetically Encoded Materials.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 22, 2023
- Mentor graduate students, undergraduates and postdocs on their research project and laboratory techniques.
- Monitor and order supplies of common chemicals and biochemicals, consumables, and EHS disposal containers as needed.
- Track, pick-up, and distribute packages as they are received
- Schedule meetings for the NSF Center for Genetically Encoded Materials and ensure meeting materials (slides, etc.) are properly archived.
- Serve as a general lab safety officer.
- Monitor all lab spaces to ensure tidiness and EHS compliance, organize semi-annual lab cleaning and annual chemical inventory, maintain chemical inventory.
- Work with lab members to prepare, maintain, and update lab SOPs.
- Ensure data management protocols are followed, including monthly review of each lab member's documentation.
- Orient new lab members to lab policies and procedures, university safety requirements, chemical and biological safety.
- Manage lab checkout for graduating/leaving members, ensuring that all samples are either disposed of or logged/stored appropriately before people leave the lab.
- Manage equipment service contracts and solicit quotes for new purchases, coordinate repairs and routine equipment maintenance.
- Manage lab computers and servers and update software as needed.
- Update lab website and manage online accounts on Slack, Benchling, and Twitter
- Misc other tasks for C-GEM's research and broader impact activities including support for the undergraduate and postbaccalaureate research programs, materials transfer between institutions, and advertising for C-GEM events.
- Draft letters of recommendations and manuscripts for PI.
- Prepare stock solutions, plates, and media for common use, prepare competent cell stocks, autoclave BSL1 trash, weekly glassware washing/ Maintain stocks of empty bottles for chemical waste and request pickup for full chemical waste bottle.
- Collect information and documents for internal and external reporting.
- Ability to use sound judgement in responding to issues and concerns.
- Exemplary communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with all levels of staff and researchers verbally and in writing.
- Ability to analyze research data and prepare documentation for progress reports/manuscripts.
- Solid organizational skills and ability to multi-task with demanding timeframes.
- Proactive in suggesting process changes to streamline workflows and improve efficiency.
- Working knowledge of common organization-specific and other computer application programs.
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, coordinate work tasks with others, and meet daily deadlines in a fast-paced setting.
- Experience with general laboratory techniques in chemistry and biology.
- Knowledgeable in chemical biology to manage projects.
- Willingness and ability to learn new methods and skills for changing research priorities.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- Ph.D. in chemistry/biochemistry or a related field preferred, 3+ years of lab experience.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's https://www.google.com/url?q=http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html&source=gmail&ust=1674324686328000&usg=AOvVaw2GpIWYW1GodaOMhx7gsK4r' href='https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=3989482&targetURL=http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html' style='font-variant-ligatures:normal; text-align:start; white-space:pre-wrap; color:blue; text-decoration:underline' target='_blank'>Compensation & Benefits website.
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $23.82 - $28.34 (Steps 1.0 - 5.0).
- This position is a non-exempt, bi-weekly paid position. Hourly pay for this role is commensurate with experience.
- This is a career, 100% full-time, 40-hours per week appointment, eligible for full UC benefits.
- This position is governed by the terms and conditions in the agreement for the Technical Unit (TX) between the University of California and the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE). The current bargaining agreement manual can be found at: http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/labor/bargaining-units/tx/index.html
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Referral Source info
This job is part of the Employee Referral Program. If a UC Berkeley employee is referring you, please ensure you select the Referral Source of 'UCB Employee' and then enter the employee's Name and Berkeley email address in the Specific Referral Source field. Please enter only one name and email.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=50319&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency