Greensboro, North Carolina
Clinton, New York
Mill Valley, California
Charlotte, North Carolina
Durham, North Carolina
Durham, North Carolina
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Type: Full Time
Internal Number: 832311
Upper School Social Studies Teacher
The Upper School social studies teacher has full responsibility for teaching courses in the social studies department (including advanced classes and electives). The ideal candidate would have a background in both modern world history and basic economics.
- Teach modern social studies classes, including advanced classes and electives, and other subjects as assigned.
- Design a developmentally appropriate curriculum and plan for a well-articulated plan of teaching and assessing.
- Maintain an engaged classroom environment to support student learning.
- Sustain frequent contact with students and parents about student performance and behavior.
- Participate in parent teacher conferences as necessary.
- Write individualized advisee conference notes and student reports for each student at required periods during the year.
- Serve as an advisor and complete all activities and assignments related to this role.
- Pursue professional development opportunities.
- Be willing to help plan and chaperone weeklong Winterim experiences.
- Serve on Exhibition Committees and support students in independent academic research.
- Serve on Upper School Committees and school-wide committees as necessary.
- Attend and support after-school activities and programs (e.g. concerts, theater and class programs).
- Support the School's Episcopal identity and practices.
- Support the School's commitment to diversity and multicultural education.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in the Upper School and across divisions.
- Serve as an active member of the cross-divisional Social Studies Department.
- Complete required H.R. training each year (CPR, first aid, mandatory reporting, handling of hazardous materials, etc.)
Supervise students in the classroom, on the grounds, and on field trips or related experiences outside of class.
- Must have strong interpersonal communication skills to use in working with students, parents, and colleagues. Heathwood teachers must care deeply for young people, be adept at interacting with parents, and contribute to a warm and supportive faculty.
- Must maintain appropriate daily contact with administrators, colleagues, and other staff.
SPECIFIC JOB SKILLS
- Enjoyment of working with teenagers and a thorough understanding of the specific developmental needs of high school students.
- Energy, empathy, flexibility, and collaboration.
- Good organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to use a variety of assessment techniques and to demonstrate strong instructional and classroom-management skills.
- Experience with Learning Management Systems, the Google Suite of tools, and a variety of technological resources that can be used to support teaching whether in-person or remote.
- Understanding of pedagogy and experiential learning practices.
- Ability to lift 50lbs.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree required; master's degree preferred.
- Teaching experience required; experience in secondary education preferred.
Primarily indoor classroom teaching with occasional field trips. Some evening and weekend commitments. The Upper School social studies program is housed in the Upper School Humanities pod.
A FINAL NOTE
Heathwood Hall Episcopal School believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to its success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the incumbent nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
To apply for this position, please visit the career center on our website:
No phone calls please.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.