Charleston, South Carolina
Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, USA
Ithaca, New York
Providence, Rhode Island
Clinton, New York
Wilmington, North Carolina
East Lansing, Michigan
Roswell, New Mexico
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Location: Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Type: Full Time
Salary: Based on Experience
The Pingry School seeks a dynamic and intellectually engaging Upper School History teacher to join its diverse community. The ideal candidate is committed to guiding young people as they construct their understanding of History in a student-centered classroom. This educator is a collaborator with an appreciation for the teachable moment when moral and ethical questions arise in and out of the classroom. A person with consistently high standards, the candidate of choice seeks growth and learning every day, both personally and professionally, and inspires others to do the same through optimism, flexibility, and teamwork. With robust interpersonal skills, the selected candidate has a real desire to contribute to the school community by sharing their passions and through additional efforts, such as coaching teams or supervising activities.
- Teach 4 courses
- Serve as an advisor to a group of students
- Collaborate cross-departmentally on the development and execution of a Spring Intensive course.
- Fulfill an additional “plus one” requirement as assigned by the Upper School Director.
- Fulfill any additional duties as assigned by the Upper School Director and/or History Department Head.
- Participate in all required meetings, including faculty division meetings, scheduled collaboration times, professional development days, and beginning and end-of-year meetings weeks.
- Participate in all required professional development activities
- Provide extra support for students during flex and community times
- A bachelor’s degree in History or a closely related field is required, an advanced degree is preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in the field of History, particularly of World History from c. 1000 to the present, and possible ability to teach United States History and/or elective classes in advanced research methods, as well as subject areas such as African-American History, Middle Eastern History, Latin American History, sub-Saharan African History, East Asian History, and/or South Asian History
- Facility with a variety of teaching tools, comfort with designing courses, and fluency in various modes of inquiry
- Experience teaching History at the high school level
- Experience with advising students
- Enthusiasm for working with high school students
- Fluency with current discipline-specific pedagogy
- Dedication to supporting the academic, social, and emotional well-being of students
- Ability to work with students both in-person and virtually
- Robust interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Dedication to partnering collaboratively with a team of talented faculty
- Experience creating, supporting, and sustaining a culture of access and equity in History education
- Comfort with incorporating the latest technology into your workflow, including Google Classroom and Zoom
- Skill in navigating the Google Suite of applications (Gmail, Google Drive, Google Calendar, etc.)
- Experience creating, supporting, and sustaining a culture of access and equity in History education.
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and pillars of the Pingry School, including a commitment to DEIB and the requisite skills to work cross-functionally with diverse constituency groups across the organization.