Swarthmore, Pennsylvania, USA
Ithaca, New York
Providence, Rhode Island
Clinton, New York
Wilmington, North Carolina
Roswell, New Mexico
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Utica, New York
Location: Houston, Texas
Type: Part Time
Lower School Art Teacher (Grades 1-5) (Part-Time)
At Awty, we believe that students learn best and faculty perform best in a culture of vibrant diversity. Diversity is an essential quality of our school environment; our commitment to learning and the pursuit of excellence can occur only in such a context. It helps us guide our students to become responsible world citizens. Our commitment to learning about and respecting one another’s diversity brings distinct richness to the Awty experience for students, alumni, employees, and parents.
DESCRIPTION: The Lower School Art Teacher will work with students to inspire and develop an interest in creative expression in the visual arts while teaching skills and techniques of artistic expression. They are responsible for designing meaningful learning experiences in studio art, art history and appreciation. Additionally, they are expected to understand and demonstrate effective student instruction and assessment to maximize achievement for all students, and to work collaboratively to ensure a working and learning climate for all students that is safe, secure, and respectful.
- BA or equivalent in Art Education, Elementary Education (or related field)
- At least three years full-time teaching experience
- Master degree in Art Education, Elementary Education (or related field)
- International and/or independent school experience
- Proficiency in Spanish and/or French language
- Possess excellent teaching skills and pedagogy appropriate for young children
- Demonstrate a sound knowledge of the application of interactive methodologies and technology integration
- Be well versed in current research and best practices in teaching and learning
- Be able to integrate varied activities that develop language, motor, and cognitive skills into the daily educational experience of students
- Foster cross-cultural understanding within the classroom and curriculum
- Be able to create a positive learning environment that is rich in structure, developmentally appropriate and academically rigorous
- Demonstrate understanding of, and commitment to, childhood social, emotional and intellectual development within an international school setting
THE ROLE: A teacher at The Awty International School is expected, but not limited to, the following expectations:
- Effectively teaching subject area concepts, including undertaking appropriate lesson preparation and assessing and evaluating students.
- Collaborating with other teachers on the team in unit and lesson planning.
- Planning, organizing and showcasing student work throughout the year (art shows, bulletin board displays, open classrooms, etc.)
- Attending and positively contributing to grade, faculty, division and all-school meetings as necessary.
- Performing snack, lunch, recess, dismissal and other supervision duties as required.
- Contributing to the wider life of the school in areas such as special projects and presentations, field trips and service learning activities as well as attending curriculum nights, open houses, prospective parent meetings, and other school and parent events.
Submit your application through the school's website. All applicants should include a cover letter, current résumé and three professional references (including your most recent direct supervisor). Direct inquiries (cover letter, CV, references) to Tim Long, Head of Lower School, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Awty International School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ethnic or religious beliefs, disability, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law in administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, scholarship and athletic and other school-administered programs or in its employment practices.
The position is a one-year renewable contract, with competitive salary and conditions. Applications should be submitted as soon as possible.