East Lansing, Michigan
Utica, New York
Clinton, New York
Ithaca, New York
Greensboro, North Carolina
Location: Riverside, California
Internal Number: 4001323
Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed below by 8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time. 04/10/23
Position Title: Assistant Professor, Political Science (Moreno Valley College)
Department: Humanities, Arts & Soc Sci (M)
Position Type: Full-Time Faculty/Counselor/Librarian
College/Campus: Moreno Valley
Physical location of the position: Moreno Valley
Employment Type: Full-Time
Tenure Track (Faculty)
Position Length: 10-month
Salary Range: Column C, Step 1 to Column H, Step 6
Salary Amount: $77,868 - $119,975
Salary Type: Annual
Is this position categorically (grant) funded? No
Moreno Valley College in the Riverside Community College District is seeking an innovative individual focused on student learning for a full-time, tenure-track position in Political Science. Course assignments include American Politics, World Politics, Political Theory, and Comparative Politics. Duties associated with the position include participation in a variety of campus and divisional activities such as faculty meetings, committee work, student activities, office hours, student learning outcomes and assessment, curriculum/instructional development and program review. Contribute to the growth and development of the Political Science program. Assignment may include teaching courses during day and evening hours. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview, which will include a teaching demonstration on an assigned topic.
Moreno Valley College is seeking an Assistant Professor, Political Science. The ideal candidate will share Moreno Valley College's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. We currently serve approximately 13,000 students annually, the majority of whom are from racially minoritized populations, 66% Latino, 11% African American, 5% Asian American and 14% white. Moreno Valley College is designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution and a Minority Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the college has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
The successful candidate will join the Social & Behavioral Sciences Department, dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves. These efforts include participation in equity and Guided Pathways initiatives, and the use of pedagogical techniques that draw on culturally traditional approaches to the subject.
The successful candidate will join a campus that exhibits its dedication to its students and faculty through participation with student and multi-disciplinary faculty endeavors.
To learn more about Moreno Valley College visit the following link https://www.mvc.edu/about/index.php
Master's degree in political science, government, or international relations OR bachelor's degree in any of the above AND master's degree in economics, history, public administration, social science, sociology, any ethnic studies, J.D., or LL.B. OR the equivalent. Ph.D. preferred.
(All degrees and units used to satisfy minimum qualifications shall be from accredited institutions).
Minimum of 2 years of community college or baccalaureate level teaching is desired. Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the racial, socioeconomic, academic, and cultural diversity within the community college student population, including students with different ability statuses (e.g., physical and/or learning) as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom.
Recent experience working with African American, Latino, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom, and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusion of these groups within higher education and the field of Political Science shape patterns of participation and outcomes; willingness to examine and remediate one's instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students; experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the classroom; experience and expertise in culturally responsive teaching in Political Science, particularly as it relates to the relevance of Political Science to students' lives, interests, and communities; demonstrated knowledge of the implications of the Hispanic-Serving designation for institutional, departmental, and instructional practices.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY:
Evidence of a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students (E.C. 87360a).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. The instructional assignment will include lecture and laboratory classes in the discipline.
2. All faculty will participate in outcomes assessment work.
3. Assignments are based upon the assumption of workload of forty hours weekly, including but not limited to conducting classes, class preparation, student evaluation, office hours, committee work, curriculum and program development, student learning outcomes assessment, program review, student activities, and other duties per the bargaining unit agreement.
4. Institutional service activities are expected of all faculty members.
5. Participation in discipline/department decision making processes and work regarding curriculum, program development, Improvement of Instruction, and other professional matters are also expected of all department faculty.
6. Responsibilities also include maintaining standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
1. Ten-month, tenure-track position.
2. Salary is commensurate with academic preparation, and full-time teaching or equivalent experience with a range from Column C, Step 1 to Column H, Step 6 of the current Faculty Salary Schedule.
3. Medical and dental benefits are provided for the employee and legal dependents.
4. A $50,000 life insurance policy is provided for the employee.
5. Orientation to college is required as is adherence to Improvement of Instruction policy.
6. Maintaining broad knowledge of the academic or occupational area and design pedagogy related to learning outcomes is expected.
7. Responsible for all other conditions of employment required of full-time faculty members such as a willingness to be involved in District and College promotional activities, active participation in college committee work, student activities and other support services, and appropriate professional activities.
The Riverside Community College District complies with all federal and state rules and regulations and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law. This holds true for all District employment opportunities. Inquiries regarding compliance and/or grievance procedures may be directed to the District's Title IX Officer/Section 504/ADA Coordinator. Harassment of any employee/student with regard to ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, gender, gender identity, gender expression, race, color, ancestry, genetic information, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, or any characteristic listed or defined in Section 11135 of the Government Code or any characteristic that is contained in the prohibition of hate crimes set forth in subdivision (1) of Section 422.6 of the California Penal Code, or any other status protected by law, is strictly prohibited. The Title IX Officer, Section 504/ADA Coordinator for the District is Ms. Lorraine Jones, 3801 Market Street, Riverside, CA 92501. Telephone Number is: (951) 222-8595.
Required Applicant Documents:
Resume or Curriculum Vitae
Masters or Equivalent Transcript
Optional Applicant Documents:
Letter of Recommendation 1
Letter of Recommendation 2
Bachelors or Equivalent Transcript
Other Document: Student Evaluations
Effective Employment Date: August 2023
Application Deadline: 04-10-2023
*Interested candidates must apply by the deadline listed above by 8:00 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.
* All offers of employment will be contingent upon the availability of funds and approval by the Board of Trustees.
* Only electronic, on-line applications are accepted. All supporting materials, including letters of recommendation, required or optional, must also be in electronic formats and attached to the electronic, on-line application when applying. Supporting materials are only accepted as Adobe Acrobat (.pdf) or Microsoft Word files and must be less than 2 MB in size.
* Paper applications and supporting materials WILL NOT be accepted!
*Cover Letter: Must include a brief cover letter describing specific aspects of your experiences and academic background that qualifies you for this position. Additionally, briefly address a) Why you want to teach at Riverside City College, and b) What you believe are the biggest obstacles for creating equitable opportunities for all students to learn and succeed in college.
* Letters of recommendation must be NON-CONFIDENTIAL and submitted electronically when applying on-line.
*Copies of degree diplomas/certificates are NOT a replacement for transcripts.
*The District will make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. Applicant should contact Human Resources at (951) 222-8595 for assistance.
Application Types Accepted: Faculty Application
To Apply: https://pa379.peopleadmin.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=60631
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency