Glassboro, New Jersey
Ithaca, New York
New York, New York
Location: Pasadena, California
Type: Full Time
Sequoyah School is an independent K-12 day school in Pasadena, California offering an innovative college-preparatory curriculum in a student-centered, experiential, humanistic environment. The school offers a developmentally appropriate program from Kindergarten through high school. In keeping with its mission, “A Sequoyah education challenges the mind, nurtures the heart, and celebrates human dignity,” the school’s program supports a student’s social and emotional growth alongside their academic progress. The school was founded in 1958 and recently expanded its highly regarded elementary and junior high program to include a high school. The high school campus is located just a few miles away from the K-8 campus.
Kindergarten-5th Grade Associate Teacher
Reports to: Assistant Head of School or Director of Teaching and Learning
Sequoyah's learning program schoolwide, and in each classroom, is developed through close collaboration with others. In the K-8 program, this collaboration includes Lead Teachers, Associate Teachers, the Assistant Head of School, the Director of Teaching and Learning, and subject-area Specialists.
Under the lead teacher’s direction, the Associate Teacher supports the development of the academic, social and emotional learning program in a mixed-age classroom. The associate teacher supports expectations and practices defined by Sequoyah’s mission and Habits of Mind. Associate teachers may be assigned teaching and clerical duties or other tasks by the lead teacher and/or the associate’s supervisor. Year to year individuals in this position may be placed in a different elementary school classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise students
- Chaperone overnight camping trips
- Provide a positive and safe environment for students physically and emotionally that reflects effective classroom management strategies
- Promote good citizenship and mindful behavior among students
- Support Lead Teachers as they
- plan and implement curriculum
- implement instructional strategies that meet the needs of all students
- write curriculum updates
- prepare for student-parent conferences
- look for opportunities to create emergent curriculum responsive to student interests and current events
- understand individual students’ learning interests, strengths and needs
- Support projects at the direction of the Lead Teacher
- Support classroom community through use of online platforms
- Represent the school in its values and mission
- Model professional and ethical standards and Habits of Mind when working with students, parents, teachers, administration and staff
- Perform duties as assigned by the Lead Teacher or Supervisor
- Assume responsibility for projects as assigned by the Head of School
Desired Expertise and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field
- Interest in anti-bias and anti-racist practices
- 3+ years of experience working with children
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Tactful and discreet
- Technologically savvy
- High-energy and enthusiastic about working in an academic atmosphere
Sequoyah School has a rich history of diversity and seeks candidates to enhance that tradition. Sequoyah offers competitive salary and benefits.
The anticipated salary range the School reasonably expects to pay candidates for this position is $40,000 to $55,000, depending on factors such as experience or education.
To apply, interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Sequoyah School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in any phase of employment. We consider applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, marital status, or any other legally protected status.
For more information about Sequoyah School please see our website at www.sequoyahschool.org