East Lansing, Michigan
Utica, New York
Princeton, New Jersey
Glassboro, New Jersey
Roswell, New Mexico
Clinton, New York
Ithaca, New York
Location: Berkeley, California
Internal Number: 4001788
Facilities Coordinator (5194U), School of Optometry Dean - 50513
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
At UC Berkeley, we believe that learning is a fundamental part of working, and our goal is for everyone on the Berkeley campus to feel supported and equipped to realize their full potential. We actively support this by providing all of our staff employees with at least 80 hours (10 days) of paid time per year to engage in professional development activities. To find out more about how you can grow your career at UC Berkeley, visit grow.berkeley.edu.
At the Wertheim School of Optometry & Vision Science, as part of a world-renowned university that embraces excellence and access, we foster an environment of trust and mutual respect, free expression and inquiry, and personal resilience and achievement. We demonstrate sensitivity and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. These principles serve us daily in our reasoning and actions and aid us in our decision making.
We educate an estimated 320 students annually. Our O.D. program is a 4 year program with clinical training provided at 2 campus clinics, 10 satellite clinics (community care), 7 VA clinics, and 24 external clinics across the country. Our one-year post-graduate residency programs provide advanced clinical education in specialty areas of optometry with placement on and off campus and our Vision Science program averages 40 PhD students.
The Optometry Clinic provides comprehensive optical care services to the entire Campus population and the general Bay Area community, with approximately 80,000 annual visits to Optometry Clinics at Minor Hall and the Tang Center. The Optometry Clinic is open 7 days per week and approximately 358 days per year.
The Facilities team provides oversight for the strategic, administrative, financial, operational, and regulatory activities related to the organization's space and project activations for all new and existing space; including administrative, teaching, research, outpatient and inpatient clinic facilities. The team plans, sequences, and drives cross-functional operational change, communications and mitigation programs to support business continuity, safety, space planning and superior patient and student experience in all projects.
Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 27, 2023
- May act as Building Coordinator for organization emergency/disaster preparedness for assigned venues, serves as the communication liaison between organization service agencies and building occupants, prepares building response plans, and coordinates education and planning in this area for all building occupants.
- Coordinates maintenance and repair of departmental equipment and space.
- Conducts regular periodic rounds to inspect areas for security, fire, and accident hazards and takes appropriate action as required, including reporting in fractions of fire and building codes, building rules, and other building irregularities to management.
- Liaises with Communications Manager to coordinate and carry out department signage, display, and promotional needs.
- Places work orders with Physical Plant and follows up on needed repairs and services.
- Coordinates with Custodial Services on regular and periodic custodial needs.
- Responsible for storage of all surplus office equipment and furnishings, and disposal of unneeded equipment and furnishings.
- Assists with record-keeping e.g. key and access code distribution, PP-CS service requests, and BETS equipment management data entry.
- Support other areas of the facilities team during vacations and leaves including but not limited to - driving and transporting students, equipment, or supplies to other sites.
- Primary point-of-contact for Shipping and Receiving for the School of Optometry.
- Receives deliveries of ordered goods. Notifies labs or other units of receipt of goods (especially those requiring special handling such as refrigeration).
- Receives and distributes mail for the School.
- Acts as a Reception point for Minor Hall, providing basic information and directing visitors to Minor Hall units, such as Student and Alumni Affairs, Dean's Office, and labs
Security and Safety:
- Serves as 'Department Access Key Controller' as defined by the UCPD Access Control Policy, maintaining accurate records of all access control activities, ensuring appropriate authority prior to issuing keys, ordering replacement keys as needed, recovering department keys from departing personnel, reporting any failure to recover access control keys to department management and UCPD, and securely storing unassigned keys in the department's UCPD-approved cabinets.
- May act as a representative of the organization safety committee, organization building emergency committee, and organization ergonomic program, and is responsible for departmental compliance with OSHA/EH&S regulations regarding state and organization policies and procedures, and works to implement safety and emergency preparedness policies and procedures with staff, including maintaining first aid supplies, fire extinguishers, and other safety equipment.
- Maybe coordinates maintenance and repair of departmental fleet vehicles and equipment. This may include assisting the Facilities team with maintenance and optimal use of Minor Hall and Minor Addition spaces - e.g. arrangement of furniture in classrooms. Submit work orders for repairs and maintenance.
- Purchases supplies, conducts bid proposals and supervises small-scale department renovation projects.
- Assists management in the development of the annual facilities budget.
- Responsible for purchasing departmental supplies, services, and equipment.
- Acts as department equipment custodian backup through the equipment tracking system(s) and conducts department inventory controls including processing and maintaining records of equipment insurance requests.
- Instructional Support- support classrooms with items such as markers, cleaning supplies, and erasers at the beginning of each semester.
- Procurement - safety supplies, classroom equipment, and business center supplies to maintain inventories.
- Network Printer Support - coordinate with IT for Printer mapping support, backup support for paper jams, and replacing toner.
- Performs special projects as assigned and ongoing professional development activities.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures relating to facility maintenance.
- Written communication skills to prepare a variety of correspondence, reports, policies and procedures, and training documents.
- Skills to work under pressure of deadlines in a stressful environment.
- Active listening, interpersonal communication, and problem-solving skills to effectively resolve questions, concerns, issues, or problems and ensure cooperative and productive working relationships.
- Skills to work independently and as part of a team.
- Working organizational skills to work on multiple projects with competing deadlines, to establish goals and workload priorities, and meet project deadlines within budget and time constraints.
- Working knowledge of practices and procedures of safety and emergency preparedness.
- Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, and inventory/database software.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University, please visit the University of California's https://www.google.com/url?q=http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html&source=gmail&ust=1674324686328000&usg=AOvVaw2GpIWYW1GodaOMhx7gsK4r' href='https://apptrkr.com/get_redirect.php?id=4001788&targetURL=http://ucnet.universityofcalifornia.edu/compensation-and-benefits/index.html' style='font-variant-ligatures:normal; text-align:start; white-space:pre-wrap; color:blue; text-decoration:underline' target='_blank'>Compensation & Benefits website.
Under California law, the University of California, Berkeley is required to provide a reasonable estimate of the compensation range for this role and should not offer a salary outside of the range posted in this job announcement. This range takes into account the wide range of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions including but not limited to experience, skills, knowledge, abilities, education, licensure and certifications, analysis of internal equity, and other business and organizational needs. It is not typical for an individual to be offered a salary at or near the top of the range for a position. Salary offers are determined based on final candidate qualifications and experience.
The budgeted salary or hourly range that the University reasonably expects to pay for this position is $31.31 - $35.20.
- This is a 100% full-time (40 hours per week), career position that is eligible for full UC benefits.
- This position is non-exempt and paid bi-weekly.
A valid driver's license and DMV check for driving record is required.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant, please see the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission poster.
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy, please see the University of California Discrimination, Harassment, and Affirmative Action in the Workplace policy.
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=50513&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency