Utica, New York
Glassboro, New Jersey
Clinton, New York
Ithaca, New York
New York, New York
Greensboro, North Carolina
Location: Lyndhurst, Ohio
Type: Full Time
Hawken School is committed to doing school differently and better. This means developing an inclusive and accepting community where adults feel empowered to design educational experiences for students that deepen their learning, engaging their emotions as well as their intellects. Hawken School seeks culturally competent teachers who are committed to equity and social justice, comfortable taking risks, and who embrace a growth mindset. Our faculty members are constantly looking for new ways to inspire student curiosity while remaining dedicated to nurturing compassion and kindness in our students.
Hawken School is seeking a dynamic and innovative individual committed to the total child. Candidates should be eager to work in an innovative and collaborative team-based environment with thoughtful individuals committed to middle school learners. In 2019-20, the middle school adopted a new schedule which provides more interdisciplinary, problem-based choices while giving primacy to the core literacies of humanities and quantitative thinking. A movement toward mastery-based grading and assessment is underway. As such, a desire to continually develop and refine curricula and approaches to teaching and learning is preferred.
- Co-teach four classes of middle school humanities
- Teach, for one trimester, a middle school elective course
- Serve as an advisor, overseeing the academic and social growth of his/her advisees
- Serve as a member of the grade level team of teachers, attending team meetings weekly to plan, develop and assess co-curricular activities and student support in alignment with Hawken’s mission
- Serve as a member of the Middle School humanities department, attending departmental meetings, updating and aligning curriculum across the divisions, and supporting the work of the department
- Coach or lead a significant co-curricular activity within the Middle School
- Perform other non-teaching duties as assigned by the Director or Head of School
- A Master’s degree in English, history, and/or humanities and recent teaching experience is preferred.
- Demonstrated competence and leadership in humanities curriculum development, instruction and pedagogy
- Exceptional understanding of the developmental needs of middle school learners
- A joyful enthusiasm for middle school learners
- Flexibility, energy, creativity, high expectations and a sense of humor
- Facility with dynamic educational technologies
- A willingness and eagerness to assist in the life of the School
- Experience in dealing and collaborating with colleagues and parents.
Founded on the ideal that “the better self shall prevail and each generation introduce its successor to a higher plane of life,” Hawken School is a coeducational independent day school with over 1,600 students from toddler through grade 12. Our four campuses are located within 25 minutes of downtown Cleveland, with two campuses in the eastern suburbs of Cleveland, a campus on Cleveland’s west side, and a campus in University Circle, home to the Mastery School of Hawken and also our school-wide center for experiential and service learning . A nationally recognized leader in innovative programming, Hawken prepares students to meet the challenges of tomorrow's world.
Lyndhurst: Lower and Middle School (Toddler – Grade 8)
Hawken’s Lyndhurst campus houses programs for toddlers through grade eight that reflect the school’s dual commitment to academic and social curricula. Beginning in Early Childhood, students are taught in developmentally appropriate ways to make choices, manage time, think critically and creatively, develop ownership for their learning, and engage others with empathy. Hawken’s Lower School program focuses on building a strong foundation in basic academic skills with an increasing emphasis on personal responsibility. With a focus on hands-on learning and student choice, our Middle School program enables students to be active participants in their education. By exploring science, math, and the humanities using an interdisciplinary and experience-based approach, students dive deeply into subject areas and become immersed in the process of learning and discovery.
Please send a resume, references, and a cover letter to: Dr. Michelle Harris, Director of the Middle School, at email@example.com
Hawken School is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to promoting all forms of diversity in the workplace and in our student body. We strongly urge all qualified individuals to apply.