East Lansing, Michigan
Clinton, New York
Glassboro, New Jersey
Ithaca, New York
New York, New York
Location: Shaker Heights, Ohio
Type: Full Time
Position/Title: Early Childhood Assistant Teacher
Appointment: School Year 2023/2024
Reports To: Director of the Early Childhood School
Laurel School seeks talented faculty who will put our students first and strive to make a difference in their lives. We seek to attract culturally and academically diverse faculty who thrive on being engaged participants in our community. The most successful candidates see opportunities before problems, can laugh at themselves and succeed in a fast-paced, forward-thinking educational environment. We are particularly interested in attracting teachers who view themselves as entrepreneurial, flexible, curious and creative. A desire to support, encourage and take joy in the lives of young children is a must. Laurel lives the mission: to inspire each girl to fulfill her promise and to better the world. We continually challenge our community to dream, dare, and do.
The assistant teacher is responsible for helping the lead teacher in all aspects of running the classroom. S/he will assist and co-develop engaging, thoughtful, and developmentally appropriate lessons with the lead teacher. S/he will provide an Early Childhood setting that is nurturing, cognitively rich, positive, and cross-culturally sensitive. S/he will set a tone in which children's intellectual, developmental, and affective needs are met in his/her classroom.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Guide children in exploration and discovery
- Commitment to the Conscious Discipline philosophy
- Coach children to develop curiosity, persistence, creativity, problem-solving, confidence and resilience
- Encourage children to move toward independence and develop self-care
- Work with children individually and in groups
- Assist with assessing the learning and development of each child continually
- Participate as a member of the entire Early Childhood team and collaborate with colleagues school-wide
- Attend divisional and all-school meetings and events as needed
- Maintain clear communications with families to achieve common goals
- Supervision of children during lunch and dismissal as assigned
- Support divisional and school-wide initiatives
- High comfort level educating and being with children in the outdoors with the ability to work in inclement weather and across all types of terrains.
- Other duties as assigned
The successful candidate must have a bachelor’s degree at a minimum, preferably in Early Childhood Education. Candidates with 3-5 years of experience are preferred. S/he must have a positive attitude, excellent written and verbal skills, solid organizational skills and demonstrate success in a work-setting requiring collaboration, cooperation, and collegiality. The candidate must possess or acquire and maintain a State of Ohio issued teaching certificate. The school welcomes the opportunity to continue to find ways to diversify our faculty.
Laurel offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
Please see www.laurelschool.org for further information and a job application.
Laurel School is a dynamic, forward-thinking, K-12 girls’ school with a co-ed Early Childhood division, where every child is well known. As a Facing History and Ourselves School, Laurel is fully committed to equity and inclusion; we actively seek a culturally diverse faculty and staff.
Laurel teachers are committed to:
- The study of research on girls’ education and integration of this knowledge into classroom practice
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
- Anti-racist, multicultural education
- The academic and social development of girls
- Working with each girl to fulfill the school’s mission
- The creation of an inclusive classroom community
- The integration of community-based learning projects at the classroom level and as a part of the whole school community
- Involving parents as partners in the educational process
- Outdoor education and sustainability
- Flexibility and openness to new ideas
Laurel enjoys an outstanding local and national reputation and is home to the Laurel Center for Research on Girls. In a highly competitive school landscape, Laurel is fortunate to be a school of choice in Cleveland. Our emphasis on the whole child and our legacy of excellence in the teaching of girls set us apart. Located in Shaker Heights, OH (15 minutes from downtown Cleveland) with an additional rural campus 17 minutes away, the school has a suburban/rural advantage. The work environment is noted for being family-friendly and flexible. The feeling in the school is joyous, collaborative and innovative. Our curricular philosophy emphasizes community-based, interdisciplinary and experiential learning. Collaboration and reflective practice are key to pedagogy at Laurel. The school is fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body.
Laurel School is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities to all personnel and applicants for employment without regard to race; color; religion; sex; gender identity; national origin; handicap or disability; sexual orientation; or status as a veteran, Vietnam era, or special disabled veteran.