Ursuline Academy is seeking a skilled and experienced part-time Biology Teacher for the Upper School starting in August 2023. This individual will teach two classes using student-centered methodologies.
The Biology Teacher will plan and teach the curriculum for the two classes, and will have a desire to collaborate with colleagues and a commitment to encouraging the potential in every student to embody the tenets of the Portrait of the Graduate. The teacher will be responsible for the overall coordination of teaching in his/her subjects including executing well-developed lesson plans, accurate assessment of student’s progress, participation in school functions.
The teacher will: 1) embrace diverse learning approaches that reach a range of learners, 2) aim to use a cross-curricular, transdisciplinary approach, 3) actively seek collaborative approaches with teachers within and outside the department, 4) be proactive in setting up a student-centered classroom environment that goes beyond the lecture format, and 5) utilize 21st century pedagogical approaches to instruction for a significant portion of class time.
· Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated by the teacher schedule distributed by the Principal. Creates and executes lesson plans specific to respective grade levels.
· Inspires students through enthusiasm for course content and student growth.
· Prepares for assigned classes by creating robust lesson plans that align with the course curriculum designated by the Department Chair and/or School.
· Provides a detailed course syllabus.
· Develops and maintains a safe and inviting classroom environment conducive to learning.
· Aligns instruction to a standards-based unit plan/scope and sequence.
· Utilizes supplied materials/unit plans as well as supplemental materials and projects/units to enhance the student learning experience.
· Demonstrates proficiency through careful lesson planning and content expertise.
· Utilizes a variety of assessment tools to evaluate student learning, including formative and summative assessment.
· Achieves a balance between instructional and assessment time that prioritizes authentic learning.
· Continually assesses curriculum and teaching to ensure inclusiveness for ability, race, ethnicity, and socio-economic sensitivity.
· Reviews assessment data at the departmental level to inform instructional strategies. Uses data to make decisions for students requiring more advancement and/or remediation.
· Demonstrates knowledge of students’ strengths, challenges, and learning styles.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Attends Graduation Ceremonies, Back to School Nights, Conferences, Open Houses, school-sponsored extracurricular events, pep rallies, assemblies, community meetings, special events, etc. and serves as chaperone, as required.
· Demonstrates support of students through attendance at social and extracurricular events across divisions.
· Serves as a positive ambassador for Ursuline Academy in the community.
· Demonstrates a willingness to serve the school community with time and talents in activities outside of the classroom.
· Assists in upholding and supporting school rules.
· Maintains an updated course page and accurate, up-to-date student records.
· Posts major assignments/assessments on the Test Calendar at least 1 week prior to due date.
· Writes specific, individual, and constructive comments on report cards/progress reports.
· Actively communicates with students and families within 24 hours when students’ performance is of concern.
· Completes and logs at least one 1 phone call or email per week to parents that details specific observation of a student’s exhibition of the Portrait of an Ursuline Graduate and/or academic performance.
· Responds to any parent communication within 1 business day and documents phone communication with follow-up email.
· Posts grades to online gradebook in a timely manner.
· Exhibits expertise in curricular area(s) by remaining up-to-date on research and trends, attending professional development opportunities, when needed.
· Models professional qualities of discretion, confidentiality, and respect through interpersonal relationships with colleagues, students, and families.
· Responds to observational feedback and incorporates strategies and skills from professional development into instruction.
· Performs duties as assigned including car line, cafeteria monitoring, library coverage, etc. as required by the Principal.
· Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
· Attends and actively participates in all meetings and in-service days.
Alignment with Mission, Core Values and Portrait of an Ursuline Educator
· Actively upholds the school policies and procedures detailed in the Employee Handbook and Faculty Handbook.
· Attends school liturgies, prayer services, retreats, and other mission-directed events or activities, as planned.
· Actively monitors and ensures student adherence to Student Handbook policies and procedures.
· Models desired behaviors for students both in and out of the classroom, including maintaining standards of classroom and school behaviors.
· Enthusiastically engages in professional development activities designed to support professional growth.
· Bachelor’s degree in Science, Education, or related field; Master’s degree and Certification preferred.
· Completion of student teaching required; 2-4 years of experience preferred. Experience teaching at the middle and high school levels preferred.
· Demonstrated understanding of educational technology integration in the classroom.
· Demonstrated understanding of effective teaching strategies for different learning styles and aptitudes.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including presentation, listening and observational skills.
· Excellent organizational, prioritization, and time management skills including the ability to plan and manage projects.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to work effectively with students, teachers, parents, volunteers and school administration from diverse backgrounds.
· Ability to navigate challenging situations with discretion and diplomacy.
· Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment.
· Passion for bettering the lives of students.
· Desire to seek out professional development activities related to the latest instructional strategies, student growth and best pedagogical practices.
· Willingness to be an active, enthusiastic member of the Ursuline community.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times regarding the Ursuline community.