Ithaca, New York
Ithaca, New York
San Diego, California
Stony Brook, New York
Los Angeles, California
Ithaca, New York
Los Angeles, California
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Type: Full Time
Salary: $68,500 - $90,900
Middle School Math & Science Teacher
Start Date: August 2023
Brooklyn Friends School (BFS), a thriving Preschool-12 grade school located in vibrant Downtown Brooklyn, seeks a Middle School Math & Science Teacher within a dynamic community of colleagues (BFS uses the all-inclusive term, colleagues, to refer to all rather than one that delineates faculty/staff). Founded in 1867, Brooklyn Friends School’s pillars of social justice, service learning/civic engagement, and Quakerism, serve as guideposts for our action-oriented collective work. Our school’s history has been illustrious and reflective of the expansive nature of human experiences. Guided by our mission, BFS provides a dynamic, diverse, and robust social/emotional environment and academic program that cultivates compassionate, intellectually curious, and confident changemakers. As a school, we affirm that human diversity includes, but is not limited to: race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, religion, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, socioeconomic class, family structure and physical ability, as well as diversity of thought, talents, and learning style.
This short video gives you a glimpse into our contemporary experience.
Reporting to the Head of Middle School, the Middle School Math & Science Teacher collaborates with grade level colleagues, learning specialists, and administration to plan, create, and implement curriculum. Applicants should have experience working with and teaching a constructivist humanities curriculum, structured writing process, and guided reading. Demonstration of strong classroom management skills, an investment in continued professional growth, comfort using classroom technology, and a commitment to promoting a diverse community is expected. They are responsible for ongoing assessment and communication with parents and the Head of the Middle School about children’s progress. Additionally, all Middle School colleagues serve as co-advisors and are responsible for the overall support and wellbeing of a small group of students in their care. All Middle School teachers are expected to be active community members, sharing supervisory duties and general support and care of the school community.
Qualifications and Characteristics Sought:
- Bachelor’s degree in the Graduate degree in education or a related field (preferred)
- 3-5 years teaching experience (preferred)
- Has relevant experience teaching a progressive math and science curriculum
- Is comfortable using classroom technology
- Has strong classroom management skills
- Is invested in continued professional growth
- Demonstrates strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Approaches work with flexibility, patience, grace, connection, and a willingness to learn
- Demonstrates cultural competency and a commitment to diversity, equity, social justice, and inclusion
- Brings a passion and desire to create a joyful learning environment
- Respect for the life of the child
- Shows compassion, integrity, and open-mindedness in all interactions
- Exhibits collegiality, approachability, flexibility, and adaptability
- Has the ability to partner and collaborate across professional statuses, i.e., with all colleagues (i.e., staff, leadership, families, student body, local and national independent school communities, and the neighborhood community)
Primary Responsibilities Include:
This position reports to the Head of Middle School.
- Teach four sections of Middle School science and math classes (~15-20 students per class)
- Support the academic/social/emotional development of all students
- Collaborate well with colleagues to plan, create, and implement curriculum
- Communicate effectively with families with regard to all aspects of classroom life and child development
- Serve as a Middle School Advisor
- Be responsible for ongoing student assessment
- Share supervisory duties and general support and care of the school community
- Perform necessary routine tasks and daily maintenance of the classroom
- Serves as an active community member that is highly collaborative and partners well with teachers, families, administration, and students
Physical Requirements of the Job:
- Must be able to work in an office environment including prolonged periods of sitting and standing.
- Must be able to stand, bend over, twist and reach to access file cabinets, bookshelves and navigate office and workstation spaces.
- Must be able to ambulate through a classroom setting, including walking up stairs.
Union Status: Union
Salary Range: $68,500 - $90,900
This salary range represents the expected annual salary range for this position. Ultimately, in determining your pay, we'll consider your education level, experience, and other job-related factors.
To apply, please provide the following:
- Cover letter addressed to Nitya York, Head of Middle School. Along with punctuating your interest and experience, your cover letter should also address how you feel that your professional journey aligns with our school’s Quaker values and pillars of social justice and civic engagement.
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- List of three references (with emails, phone numbers, and relationship to you).
- Letters of recommendation are highly encouraged.
- Completed online application.
Please email the above attachments (if possible as a single PDF) to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, and put MS Math & Science Teacher in the subject line. Qualified candidates will be contacted after materials have been reviewed.
Brooklyn Friends School COVID-19 Vaccination Policy:
We appreciate your interest in employment at Brooklyn Friends School. We would like to note that the School has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy, which requires all faculty and staff to be fully vaccinated, including the booster once eligible and provide proof of vaccination.