Ithaca, New York
Stony Brook, New York
Los Angeles, California
Los Angeles, California
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Location: Roanoke, Virginia
Type: Full Time
This is a full time position in our middle school, specifically teaching algebra and geometry.
Excellent faculty members are a cornerstone of the student experience and the key to implementing our Mission Statement. We believe that teachers should:
- Be passionate about education
- Possess a depth of knowledge, pedagogical and curricular
- Be self-reflective and strive for continual growth
- Participate actively in the school community
- Uphold high standards of professionalism
- Be innovative and adaptable
- Create engaging, safe, and comfortable learning environments
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS:
- Teach students basic academic, social, and other foundational skills at the middle school level.
- Communicate with parents, guardians, and other faculty members in order to aid in the overall development and progression of students.
- Document information regarding students’ progress, grades, records, etc.
- Take part in the development, implementation, and evaluation of strategies related to student instruction.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain accurate, complete, and correct student records as required by administrative regulations.
- Prepare reports on students (including grades and other activities) as required by administration.
Developing/Evaluating Objectives and Strategies
- Adapt teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects and communicate those objectives to students.
- Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, including demonstrations and work time for students to observe, question, and investigate.
Training and Teaching Others
- Teach daily classes, organize lesson plans.
- Prepare, administer, and grade tests and assignments to evaluate students' progress.
- Prepare children for later grades by encouraging them to explore learning opportunities and to persevere with challenging tasks.
- Enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students.
- Director of Middle School
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES NECESSARY:
- Education and training
- English language
- Computer, electronics and Internet (including electronic mail)
- Effective instruction
- Different learning strategies
- Reading comprehension
- Critical thinking
- Collaboration with colleagues to ensure a collegial environment
- Active listening
- Speaking effectively
- Writing clearly and concisely
- Judgment and decision making
- Time management
- Working independently
- Sound Intuition and instincts
TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, AND MACHINES:
- Typical classroom supplies (e.g., calculators, cutting boards, writing instruments, etc.)
- Smart TVs, instructional boards and document cameras
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Work occurs in an indoors environment. Employees may work more than 40 hours per week as needed. Work requires extensive use of a computer and electronic mail.
- Ability to lift 30 lbs.
- Perform minimal physical activities that require use of arms, legs and moving whole body for standing, walking, sitting, bending, grasping, or stooping/kneeling.
- Clear vision at 20 inches or less.
- Normal hearing requirements.
- No criminal background or history of drug or alcohol abuse.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Teaching experience preferred
?Applicants should send a letter of interest, resume, and a list of three references with contact information (references will not be contacted without express permission from the candidate) to Elise DeMoss, Director of Human Resources, at email@example.com.
North Cross School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.