Ithaca, New York
Stony Brook, New York
Los Angeles, California
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Los Angeles, California
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Location: Worcester, Massachusetts
Type: Full Time
About Bancroft School
Through active, inquiry-based learning and challenging experiences, Bancroft School empowers students in grades PreK to 12 with the skills, knowledge, and confidence to make a difference in their community and the world. Guided by outstanding teachers, curious learners engage with one another and celebrate the strengths and lived experiences of each individual. Bancroft School seeks to be the first choice for students and families seeking to own their journey to mastery and independence in an inclusive campus where each individual is safe, known, and valued.
Bancroft is located in Worcester, Massachusetts — a thriving city with a rich history and a bright future in which the school is deeply invested. Founded in 1900, Bancroft’s 30-acre campus is in a residential neighborhood just north of downtown. Our 400 students from 63 cities and towns around central Massachusetts represent a variety of different backgrounds that contribute to a unique and diverse learning environment.
In January of 2020, the school unveiled a 5-year strategic plan, BluePrint125 — a product of extensive internal investigation and collaborative discussion among the School’s many constituents. In recent years, the School has made significant investments in campus upgrades to improve energy efficiency, air quality, and public safety. Other major campus enhancements have included the creation of flexible, multi-functional learning spaces in the areas of performing arts, athletics, and technology.
Bancroft School seeks a history teacher to join our team of educators in the Upper School (Grades 9 - 12) starting for the 2023-24 school year. Ideal candidates will have the ability to teach any level of the Upper School History curriculum with equal emphasis on curricular content as well as skills development. Experience and an interest in teaching Civics and long-term projects is preferred. The successful candidate will demonstrate an ability to engage students in meaningful research and inquiry, critical thinking, and collaborative exploration with an eye toward civic engagement both within and outside our community. Faculty are encouraged to propose new ideas and work with peers to continue to develop our offerings with a global and DEIB focus.
Bancroft encourages inquiry-based learning that provides opportunities for creative approaches and place-based experiences to aid teaching and learning. Practice and skill in curricular design and implementation is expected. Facility with a variety of technological applications is required as Upper School students and teachers utilize a range of technological platforms in educational processes.
- Teach multiple sections and various levels of History - this includes all aspects of planning, instruction, and assessment.
- Consistent and regular communication with students, parents, colleagues, and advisors.
- In addition to classroom teaching, the position includes participation in all aspects of school life, including coaching, club sponsorship, and advising.
- Serve as a full community member by attending faculty meetings, serving on committees, participating in admissions activities, covering duties, and other routine faculty responsibilities.
- Promote social and emotional growth by serving as an advisor to a group of students.
- Engage in professional development to enhance inclusive teaching and leadership practices. The school offers extensive professional development opportunities to support a racially and ethnically diverse community that is informed, self-reflective, and characterized by respect and careful listening.
- Bachelor's degree in History or related education field
- Three to five years teaching experience preferred
- Experience in and enthusiasm for implementing inquiry-based learning
- Proven ability to differentiate instruction
- Familiarity with a variety of technological applications
Essential Attitudes & Aptitudes
- A collaborative spirit
- A willingness to participate and partner with colleagues on curricular and cultural initiatives
- An understanding of and care for Upper School students
Bancroft seeks dynamic candidates who will be active participants in the community beyond the classroom, with interest in supporting extracurricular activities in athletics, clubs, and other programs.
Bancroft is committed to cultivating and sustaining a community that embraces difference and welcomes candidates who will add to the racial and cultural diversity of our community. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If interested, please send a cover letter, resume, personal statement, and references to email@example.com