Ithaca, New York
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Ithaca, New York
Ithaca, New York
Ithaca, New York
Ithaca, New York
Location: Ithaca, New York
Internal Number: 3-66557
Heating Plant Senior Mechanic
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
The College of Agriculture and Life Science is a pioneer of purpose-driven science and Cornell University's second largest college. We work across disciplines to tackle the challenges of our time through world-renowned research, education and outreach. The questions we prove and the answers we seek focus on three overlapping concerns: natural and human systems; food, energy and environmental resources; and social, physical and economic well-being.
As a service and maintenance department of Cornell AgriTech, the responsibility of the Buildings and Properties Unit is to provide responsive maintenance engineering and special services in support of our institution's vital research. Our mission is to maintain and expand the campus and its facilities to the highest possible standards, while providing dependable and cost-effective support services to those carrying out the research.
Performs all types of maintenance on steam production equipment, facilities and infrastructure. Responsibilities include repair, replacement, adjustment, calibration, lubrication, cleaning, rebuild and renewal to assure system reliability, efficiency and safety. This work will require the ability to read and interpret instruction manuals and prints, repair equipment as the situation dictates, layout and fabricate work, and order parts. The Multi Trade Technician IV conducts routine, preventive, and corrective maintenance, following established procedures, and is frequently required to trouble shoot equipment malfunctions and correct equipment deficiencies through innovative non-standard methods. Work independently and/or as a member of a team in an around the clock process tasked with operation of the physical plant at the Cornell AgriTech. Duties this position entails are outlined below:
Perform all duties of an Multi Trade Technician IV, including:
- Act as the maintenance lead for the Central Heating Plant; act as the lead boiler operator providing advice and guidance on technical matters to Plant Manager as well as training and guidance to the operators.
- Assist the Plant Manager in the administrative operations of the Central Heating Plant.
- Participate in the development of staff training and operational policy and procedures.
- Identify, plan, prioritize and schedule maintenance (preventative, routine, planned) tasks involving boilers, piping, pumping, deaerator, controls, heating and cooling systems, and other equipment in the Central Heating Plant and related infrastructure on campus. Maintain electronic records of completed work as well as upcoming/future maintenance needs.
- Provide input to the Plant Manager for Operator performance reviews.
- Prepare communications to staff related to technical operations and processes at the Central Heating Plant.
- Train new personnel on operation, maintenance, and upkeep of boilers and related infrastructure.
- Schedule and oversee periodic shutdown, maintenance and startup of boilers including tear down and reassembly for internal and external inspection.
- Collaborate with boiler inspectors, service technicians and vendors to ensure safe efficient and continuous operation of high-pressure boilers, implementing and updating systems and protocols.
- Recommend improvements for reliability or efficiency.
- Respond to off-hours call backs involving the plant and related infrastructure.
Perform all duties of a Plant Operator, including:
- Work as a Plant Operator in the around-the-clock operation of the physical plant at Cornell AgriTech.
- Perform chemical testing on water treatment, compare results with desired ranges and adjust as necessary. Prepare chemical batches to assure continuous flow of treated water with proper chemical analysis and quality.
- Observe and check operating equipment at the Central Heating Plant and throughout campus, make routine adjustments and report unusual conditions to next shift and responsible Shop Foreman. Record various meter, temperature and pressure readings and keep careful notes on actions taken.
- Perform various maintenance and custodial duties at the Central Heating Plant. Monitor fire alarms, building alarms, research related alarms, and have responsibility for Station emergency assistance phone.
- Respond to calls for elevator malfunctions.
- Perform monthly and yearly inspections and testing for fire extinguishers and emergency lights Station-wide and report or repair noncompliant devices. Patrol and secure buildings, farms, greenhouses and grounds.
- Monitor controlled temperature rooms and mechanical systems during non-business hours. Discover and investigate abnormal operating conditions and take appropriate action to protect life, property and research.
- All Operators are required to attend safety, technical, management and environmental training.
High School Diploma and 10-years of experience in facilities environment. Must be able to work in confined spaces such as: crawl spaces, ventilation equipment, mechanical rooms, mechanical shafts, sub basements and isolated areas. Must have knowledge in basic electricity, welding, piping, sealing, gasketing, basic machining, lubrication, basic controls, vibration and balancing, equipment alignment, anchoring, fastening, rigging, knowledge of rotating equipment, shaft seals and packing. Must possess a demonstrated proficiency and knowledge of precision measuring instruments. Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs. Must have demonstrated ability to handle sensitive/confidential material in a professional manner. Must possess and maintain valid driver license.
Demonstrated ability to give and receive feedback, communicate honestly, listen, respect others, learn from mistakes, set high goals and achieve them, overcome obstacles, uses time effectively, set priorities, and participate effectively on a team. Ability to diagnose, troubleshoot and repair mechanical equipment. The successful applicant is highly motivated and exhibits innovation, good judgement and reliability in the work place.
Expertise regarding high-pressure boilers and related equipment. Experience with mechanical systems. OSHA 10 hour trained for general industry. Third party certification in high pressure boilers.
Three to five years extensive experience performing maintenance in a heavy industrial facility, with equipment such as boilers, pumps, chillers, conveyors, turbines, generators, etc.
No relocation assistance is available for this position.
No visa sponsorship is available for this position.
University Job Title:Multi Trade Technician IV
Job Family:Facilities & Safety Services
Pay Rate Type:Hourly
Pay Range:$24.63 - $28.62
Remote Option Availability:
Contact Name:Jessica Townley
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
Noted pay ranges reflect the potential pay opportunity for each job profile. The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position
Unique applicable skills
Academic Discipline (faculty pay ranges reflects 9-month annual salary)
Online Submission Guidelines:
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.2022-09-12