Ithaca, New York
Canton, New York
Brooklyn, New York
St Paul, Minnesota
St Paul, Minnesota
Los Angeles, California
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Los Angeles, California
Location: Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Type: Full Time
Assistant Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
This is a full-time role within the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Additional responsibilities will be assigned as needed and described below.
The Assistant Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion will work with the Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, DEI Department, and the Shipley Board of Trustees DEI Taskforce to institutionalize and promote diversity, equity, inclusion throughout the Shipley community.This role will be focused on helping to design and lead student programming, colleague professional development, and parent education regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Work with the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to help ensure the implementation of the Shipley Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Plan.
- Foster partnership with the Office of Admissions, Curriculum and Learning Design, and Department of Student Supports.
- Support the work, activities, and initiatives of the DEI Coordinators.
- Direct programs and initiatives that create intergroup interaction and collaboration between many different social identities including the social dimensions of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, race/ethnicity, socio-economic status, religion, ability, nationality, citizenship, age, and other group identities.
- Help to create and foster formal affinity groups and work with student leaders in other divisions to support students, families, and colleagues.
- Provide support for families around diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) themes and programming.
- Attend and co-present at local, regional, and national diversity, equity, and inclusion conferences.
- Effectively facilitate a portfolio of 1-2 courses each year.
- Serve as the primary Advisor for affinity groups, clubs, and student leadership groups.
- With the Director of DEI, foster strong relationships with the heads of each school division.
While most of the work will take place on campus some travel may be required to visit prospective students and other schools. Hours may vary for this position depending on the events and needs of the school and will at times include nights and weekends
The successful candidate must...
- Possess a minimum educational requirement of a bachelor's degree, though a Master's degree is preferred.
- Be self-motivated, creative, and flexible, have excellent communication skills, outstanding interpersonal abilities, a sense of humor and an interest in professional growth.
- Professional expertise in diversity, equity and inclusion space and experience conceptualizing, planning, and executing anti-racist and anti-bias programs and policies.
- Proficiency in developing and delivering professional development sessions for students and colleagues of all departments and levels.
Shipley and Its Commitment to Equity
The Shipley School, founded in 1894, is a co-educational, college preparatory, independent day school currently enrolling 835 students in grades Pre-K through 12. Located in the western suburbs of Philadelphia, the school is committed to educational excellence and dedicated to developing in each student a love of learning and compassionate participation in the world. The Middle School has 195 students in grades 6-8, and a faculty of 30.
The Shipley School is committed to equal employment opportunities for all individuals. The school will make all employment decisions for employees and applicants without unlawful discrimination as to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy, age, marital status, military or veteran status, gender identity, and expression, creed, genetic predisposition, victim of domestic violence or any other basis protected by law.
In addition to this position, Shipley seeks talented new colleagues across a host of full- and part-time positions ranging from teaching, to coaching, to staff support. Go to shipleyschool.org/about/employment to learn more.