Location: Stamford, Connecticut
Type: Full Time
King School is an independent day school in Stamford, CT, educating students in PreK through Grade 12. Students at King engage in an immersive and innovative curriculum that is anchored in an inquiry-based pedagogy that nurtures curiosity, intellectual growth, and character development.
Diversity is foundational to academic and professional excellence, and therefore is a core value at King. We think, learn, and work more deeply due to the many facets of diversity in our community, including but not limited to gender, race, ethnicity, religion, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, age, ability, and learning style. We leverage cultural differences and intellectual diversity to create an inclusive and vibrant learning community, endeavoring for each person to feel seen, heard, valued, and respected.
Job Title: Early Childhood Associate Teacher
Division: Lower School
Reports to: Head of Lower School
Summary: King School seeks a full-time Early Childhood Associate Teacher to support students in the Lower School. This position will report to the Head of the Lower School.
Associate Teacher Program: The Associate Teacher Program at King School provides individuals seeking a career in teaching the opportunity to gain valuable experience in either Lower or Middle School. The program offers opportunities to explore all aspects of an elementary or middle level classroom, while teaching under the mentorship of a lead teacher and enjoying the benefits of participation in a vibrant cohort. Working closely with a lead teacher, the Associate Teacher is an essential member of the community, working to build an environment built upon King’s core virtues: kindness, respect, integrity, and perseverance.
Associate Teachers may pursue a variety of interests, including coaching sports teams and leading extracurricular activities or clubs. They will also attend faculty meetings and engage in professional growth and development around a variety of topics, such as Lesson Planning and Differentiation, Effective Use of Technology, and Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. Other responsibilities include those associated with all faculty members at King: conferring with colleagues regarding curriculum and teaching strategies, helping to cover other classes when emergencies arise, and being a part of each “duty” roster that applies to their area (lunch, recess, dismissal, etc.).
This one to two year placement allows for work experience and offers an immersive introduction to the teaching profession. Participation in the King Associate Teacher program does not guarantee future employment; however, many Associates will either apply for full-time teaching positions or enter graduate school upon completion of their placement.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Teach small group lessons, including language arts and math, under the direction of the lead teacher.
- Provide academic and emotional support to students.
- Model fairness and proper behavior.
- Plan programmatic and grade level activities with the lead teacher.
- Be knowledgeable of the information in each student’s Digital Learning Profile.
- Demonstrate a commitment to professional growth and development.
- Perform duties as assigned by the Head of Lower School including recess, lunch, and dismissal.
- Attend Lower School and all-school faculty meetings, as well as workshops on staff development days held after 3:00 p.m.
- Availability to work in the After School Program when meetings are not required.
- Attend Parents’ Night in September/October, Open House etc.
- Provide coverage for other Lower School teachers, when necessary.
- Participate in King’s orientation and mentor programs.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; education or related field such as child development or psychology, preferred.
- Previous experience working with young children.
- A strong affinity for young children, flexibility, and a sense of humor are required.
- Knowledge of academic and social developmental benchmarks.
- Ability to collaborate in the management of a classroom that has several centers and group lessons occurring at the same time.
- Strong communication skills and ability to constructively collaborate with colleagues and parents.
- Must embrace the use of technology to enhance classroom instruction and communication.
- Strong demonstration of cultural competence, capacity to work, teach and learn across cultural differences.
- A willingness to embrace King’s Mission, Virtues, and Diversity Policy Statement.
- CPR and First Aid Certification (King will provide training).
- Participate in King’s orientation programs.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head of Lower School.
Full Time, Exempt.
To apply, please click here.
King goes beyond just stating that we are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our goal is to intentionally hire a diverse pool of world-class staff and faculty to enrich the educational experience of students. King seeks candidates committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment where varied identities are valued and respected.