Location: Shaker Heights, Ohio
Type: Part Time
Position/Title: Part-time Middle School French Teacher (.5 FTE)
Appointment: School Year 2023-24
Reports To: Director of the Middle School
Laurel School seeks talented faculty who will put our students first and strive to make a difference in their lives. We seek to attract culturally and academically diverse faculty who thrive on being engaged participants in our community and are committed to anti-racist education and the development of young women as authentic learners and leaders. The most successful candidates are solutions-driven, are willing to listen to learn, embrace iteration and practice as a necessary part of the product, see opportunities before problems, and thrive in a fast paced, forward-thinking educational environment. Laurel lives our mission: to inspire each girl to fulfill her promise and to better the world.
We are seeking a dynamic and talented teacher for our French program, which serves students from beginner to novice-high proficiency (level 2). Responsibilities include teaching Grades 6, 7, and/or 8 (Level IB, Level II A and/or B) immersion-style lessons to girls. The ideal teacher is inspired to spur the French program forward. S/he emphasizes the use of the target language in class, is able to differentiate instruction based on learning styles, and uses a variety of assessment strategies. S/he will also need to collaborate with World Language teachers across divisions and participate in the implementation of an articulated language curriculum.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Preparation and implementation of daily lessons
- Delivery of assignments and timely evaluation of all relevant class work and student progress
- Design and implementation of appropriate, authentic assessments and support of individual student learning styles
- Timely and proactive communication with parents about student progress
- Membership on a grade level team, and attendance at weekly meetings to collaborate on the academic program
- Collaboration with other members of the faculty, administration and staff on experiential, interdisciplinary and community-based opportunities that add to the school community
- Periodic participation in faculty and staff meetings
- Effective and timely communication with varied school constituencies in person, through email and through voice mail
- Support of divisional and school-wide initiatives
The successful candidate has native or near-native proficiency and experience teaching French at the middle school levels. S/he ideally holds an advanced degree in French (e.g., language, literature, pedagogy, etc.), possesses excellent English writing and speaking skills, and has basic information technology and computer skills. Previous experience teaching girls is helpful but not required, as is previous experience in a private educational setting. A passion for working with Middle School students is essential.
Laurel offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package.
Please see www.laurelschool.org for further information and a job application.
Laurel School is a dynamic, forward-thinking, K-12 girls’ school with a co-ed early childhood division, where every child is well known. As a Facing History and Ourselves School, Laurel is fully committed to equity and inclusion; we actively seek a culturally diverse faculty and staff.
Laurel teachers are committed to:
- The study of research on girls’ education and integration of this knowledge into classroom practice
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging
- Anti-racist, multicultural education
- The academic and social development of girls
- Working with each girl to fulfill the school’s mission
- The creation of a classroom community
- The integration of community-based learning projects at the classroom level and as a part of the whole school community
- Involving parents as partners in the educational process
- Outdoor education and sustainability
- Flexibility and openness to new ideas
Laurel enjoys an outstanding local and national reputation and is home to the Laurel Center for Research on Girls. In a highly competitive school landscape, Laurel is fortunate to be a school of choice in Cleveland. Our emphasis on the whole child and our legacy of excellence in the teaching of girls set us apart. Located in Shaker Heights, OH (15 minutes from downtown Cleveland) with an additional rural campus 17 minutes away, the school has a suburban/rural advantage. The work environment is noted for being family-friendly and flexible. The feeling in the school is joyous, collaborative and innovative. Our curricular philosophy emphasizes community-based, interdisciplinary and experiential learning. Collaboration and reflective practice are key to pedagogy at Laurel. The school is fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body.
Laurel School is dedicated to providing equal employment opportunities to all personnel and applicants for employment without regard to race; color; religion; sex; gender identity; national origin; handicap or disability; sexual orientation; or status as a veteran, Vietnam era, or special disabled veteran.