Location: Bethesda, Maryland
Type: Full Time
Stone Ridge is seeking a Grade 5 Long-Term Social Studies Substitute Teacher. This position, which would begin in late August would last at least through January.
Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart, a member of the international Network of Sacred Heart Schools, is a Catholic, independent college preparatory school for girls, Grades 1-12, with a co-educational Early Childhood Program, Pre-Kindergarten, and Kindergarten in Bethesda, Maryland. With over 750 students, and rooted in the Goals of Sacred Heart education, Stone Ridge inspires young women to lead and serve, through lives of purpose that integrate faith, intellect, community, social action, and personal growth in an atmosphere of wise freedom.
The Grade 5 Social Studies Substitute Teacher is responsible for teaching social studies, with a focus on geography and ancient civilizations, in alignment with the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Education. Working closely with departmental and grade-level colleagues, the Social Studies Teacher will;
- design and update lesson plans for content, skill-building, and continuity of curriculum;
- actively collaborate with Learning Strategists, Educational Technologists, and the Middle School Counselor to develop strategies to support all students;
- attend all faculty and employee meetings, and in-house professional development sessions;
- serve as a student Advisor;
- fulfill other faculty duties; and
- maintain good communication with families about student progress through regular progress reports, report cards, and responses to parents’ inquiries.
- Teaching experience in the field of social studies or history and demonstrated expertise in middle-grade pedagogy and instruction. A familiarity with project-based learning is a plus.
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in history or education.
- Familiarity with or experience teaching in the model of Understanding by Design, the School’s chosen pedagogical model.
- A capacity for working with a range of learning abilities and experience integrating appropriate educational technologies into the teaching approach.
- A demonstrated collaborative spirit, organizational skills, and creativity.
- A growth mindset and commitment to professional development.
- An authentic understanding of the School’s mission and Catholic identity.
An early career candidate is encouraged to apply, especially if s/he has an interest in developing the pedagogy, career, and profession of education.
Stone Ridge is looking for an educator who is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, and who has experience or interest in teaching in independent, Catholic schools, public, or charter schools. Applicants of diverse, underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should complete the application online found below. As part of the online application, please upload a resume, list of references, and cover letter addressed to Courtney Perna, Human Resources Manager, all in PDF format.
Stone Ridge requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (subject to legally required exemptions) as the best means of reducing the risk of transmission and providing our students and faculty/staff with the safest possible educational environment. Vaccination not only works to protect the individual who is vaccinated, but also protects students who are not yet eligible and anyone at increased risk from COVID-19.